how does 's' pronounce when located before y in sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
Hello All,
how does 's' pronounce when it located before 'y' in sentence?
what is your name?
last year

I am really sorry , I want to put this post on Pronunciation section, I was wrong :(
How Can I do that?

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

The question should be, "How do you/does one pronounce 's'?" or, "How is 's' pronounced?"

The 's' of 'is' is always pronounced 'z' regardless of the letter that begins the following word.

In "last year" the 's' doesn't come before the 'y', it comes before a 't' and has the normal sibilant 's' sound you find in "seaside".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If the phoneme preceding the "'s" is a consonant, the voicing or not voicing of the /s/ assimilates to the voicing or not voicing of the consonant before it. If the phoneme preceding the "'s" is a vowel, the same applies (given that a vowel is intrinsically voiced).

Examples:
  • When's [STRIKE]the conference[/STRIKE] your birthday? - /wenz/
  • What's [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] your answer? - /wɒts/
  • Why's [STRIKE]he[/STRIKE] your dog doing that? - /waɪz/

b

PS I've changed the examples so that there's a following 'y'. One day I'll learn to read the question. ;-) {Although, in my defence, what matters - in formal speech] is the preceding phoneme. (In less careful speech, the assimilation can spread both ways, though I don't think this happens with the /j/ of the 'y' spelling:
  • What's she doing? [Carefully] -> /wɒts ʃi:/... [Less carefully] /wɒʧ ʃi:/...
  • Why's she here? -> [Carefully] /waɪz ʃi:/.../ [Less carefully] /waɪʒ ʃi:/...
But this is probably over-detailed for most students.}

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.