• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

a confusing question

This test question below is asking to find out the right sequence of the passage following the leading passage.

Can you check the question for me?

Leading passage
    Apart from minor differences, all top-class athletes, no matter what their sport, use superior technique based on the best use of the mechanical principles that control human movement.

(A)
    Today's top athletes get help from knowledgeable coaches who critically observe their performances and tell them what is efficient movement and what is not. The coaches' knowledge and sport science assessment, coupled with the athletes' talent and discipline, help produce safe, first-rate performances.

(B)
    Likewise, it's virtually impossible nowadays for an athlete to reach world-class status without the assistance of coaches and sport scientists who know why it's better to perform movements one way rather than another.

(C)
    But it's important to remember that the refined, polished movements you see in the technique of an elite athlete seldom occur by chance. They usually result from hours of practice, and more importantly, smart practice - the right type of practice.

① (A) - (C) - (B) ② (B) - (A) - (C) ③ (B) - (C) - (A)
    ④ (C) - (A) - (B) ⑤ (C) - (B) - (A)

--------------------------------------
    The answer is said to be #5.

But I don’t see why #4 cannot be the answer.
    I’m not saying #5 is wrong answer.

#5 is a good answer, since ‘likewise’ implicitly referring to the preceding sentence, “They usually result from hours of practice, and more importantly, smart practice - the right type of practice.”

But #4 can be alternative answer to me, since ‘likewise’ can implicitly refer to the preceding sentence, in this case, “The coaches' knowledge and sport science assessment, coupled with the athletes' talent and discipline, help produce safe, first-rate performances.”

What do you think of my opinion?
    Last edited by andypassword; 03-May-2014 at 05:52.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: a confusing question

In my opinion, #5 is the only good answer. C must be first. It flows directly from the opening statement. Then it is a question of B-A or A-B. B introduces the role of coaches and A further explains the role of coaches. That is a normal flow. The sequence A-B explains the role of a coach and then leaves "likewise" hanging.