• Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

past perfect

Hi guys,

Please check these sentences, "Yesterday kevin recieved a call from sally, he was very surprised because he had written to her many times and she had never replied to him" so "had done" has been used twice, the first one is mandatory but can we replace "had never replied" with "never replied" in the last sentence, I know that we are going 1 step back in the past but after writting "had never replied" we have done it so now again we are going ahead in the past so why we are usong had done again(so can 2 had done be replaced by simple past). I have 1 more question like if I want to say "I woke up at 8 because I had slept late(here we have to use past perfect, madatory), I had been watching movie or do we need to say I wad watching movie".
    Last edited by tufguy; 05-May-2014 at 05:06.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand

Re: past perfect

Hi Tufguy,

The reason for two past perfects (had written/had never replied) is because in the whole sentence your point of reference in time is 'yesterday'. Both actions 'had written' and 'had never replied' can be viewed in relation to your point of reference 'yesterday' - not in relation to each other. That's why two past perfects works. With regard to your last sentence, 'I had been watching TV' is better than 'I was watching TV' because it is very clear that by using the past perfect continuous, you are indicating the reason for waking up at 8am, and that this was before. When you use the past continuous (in this context) it has the feeling of being 'in the past' ie. at the same time as 'I woke up' as opposed to providing the background to the past action 'I woke up'.

Hope this makes sense and helps,

Thanks,

Maria
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 05-May-2014 at 13:31.

2. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

But if I used past simple after using past perfect, would it make much diffetence or would it be incorrect, like in 1 sentence, " he had written many times but she never replied instead of she jad never replied" because after saying "he had wtitten to her many times" we have shown our 1 step back in the past but now again we are going ahead in the incidents description.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

"Yesterday Kevin recieved a call from Sally, he was very surprised because he had written to her many times and she had never replied to him."
    "had never replied" is correct.