[Vocabulary] check: She’s a women, check. And a Latina, check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedaffodils

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello!

Jim Matthews, his right honorably Vice President, Former Governor of Pennsylvania. He did his duty in delivering the Keystone State. Bless his heart. And now they’re about to put him out to pasture. But he looks happy, now doesn’t he? For some, it’s simply the size of the chair. Linda Vasquez, Walker’s chief of staff. I got her hired. She’s a woman, check. And a Latina, check. But more important than that, she’s as tough as two-dollar steak. Check, check, check

The above quote was from House of Cards, which is an American TV drama. A man was introducing the people in New Year Party alone to TV viewers.

What does "check" mean in the context?

I guess "check" means right, exactly, which was used to underline Linda's gender, ethnic, and she is tough. Right?

Thank you!

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
They were looking for a candidate with certain characteristics. They made a list of those characteristics. So they wrote a "check" mark :)tick: or any other they found useful for that purpose) next to each characteristic from the list a candidate for the post had.

So it means, from what I read, that they had been looking for a Latin woman ("Latina woman" is redundant) who was tough (a "two-dollar steak" is low-quality meat, so it wouldn't be tender).

Status
Not open for further replies.