Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Turkey
My question is why stay NOT in "I have not failed" before failed but in "I would not have failed after would ????????????

korotama

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Croatian
Home Country
Croatia
Current Location
Croatia
My question is why stay NOT in "I have not failed" before failed but in "I would not have failed after would ????????????

Not a teacher.

Because 'not' negates the auxiliary verbs, not the participles etc.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Because 'not' negates the auxiliary verbs, not the participles etc.
That cannot be right.
In "I have not failed", the 'not' comes after the auxiliary verb, and in "I would not have failed" the 'not' comes before the auxiliary verb.
Therefore, whether what you say is true or not, it can't be the answer to the question the OP is asking, which, from what I understand, is precisely the question of why this happens.

You've been asked by a moderator to put "Not a Teacher" in your post. Also if you are going to answer questions, you should be fairly certain that you know the answer, and you certainly shouldn't make such categorical statements.

korotama

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Croatian
Home Country
Croatia
Current Location
Croatia
That cannot be right.
In "I have not failed", the 'not' comes after the auxiliary verb, and in "I would not have failed" the 'not' comes before the auxiliary verb.
Therefore, whether what you say is true or not, it can't be the answer to the question the OP is asking, which, from what I understand, is precisely the question of why this happens.

You've been asked by a moderator to put "Not a Teacher" in your post. Also if you are going to answer questions, you should be fairly certain that you know the answer, and you certainly shouldn't make such categorical statements.

A list of auxiliaries in English[edit]

A list of verbs that (can) function as auxiliaries in English is as follows:[SUP][9][/SUP]
be (am, are, is, was, were, being, been), can, could, dare, do (does, did), have (has, had, having), may, might, must, need, ought, shall, should, will, would

I may not be a teacher but I sure can apply common sense, Raymott.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your common sense has led you astray.
Usually we put the negation after the first auxially verb no matter how many there are.
As to "why" -- it's just the way we do it.

korotama

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Croatian
Home Country
Croatia
Current Location
Croatia
Your common sense has led you astray.
Usually we put the negation after the first auxially verb no matter how many there are.
As to "why" -- it's just the way we do it.
No, it has not led me astray. Would is considered an auxiliary verb.

Status
Not open for further replies.