Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have been chosen to write a graduation speech for my high school commencement ceremony. Is the following speech okay? Please be critical. I need all the help that I can get.

Good afternoon, students, family, and faculty. It is an honor to be able to represent Waterford Kettering's class of 2014. Given this opportunity, I did what any other student would do-Google how to write a phenomenal graduation speech. Then, after hours of reading cliché, sleep inducing speeches, I finally hit the jackpot and discovered what to write. I'm not going to say that these are the best years of our lives, or that we can do whatever we want it if we have a dream. Instead, I'd rather reminisce over the last four years and highlight the countless possibilities presented to us, graduates.

Walking into Kettering four years ago we didn't know what we were getting ourselves into. We were completely clueless as to what life would be like as highschoolers. We knew Kettering had talented theater groups, choirs, bands, sports teams, and other clubs, but we were oblivious to the fact that we would become the reason for their unique aptitudes. We knew that there would be homecoming dances, pep rallies and sports events, but never knew that they only existed because of our constant enthusiasm and school spirit. We've met so many people throughout our high school careers and have managed to make so many memories. Events such as homecoming, spirit week, the backyard battle and prom fail to capture the vivacity, and emotion in the memories that we've managed to make. Now we're here, on graduation day, patiently waiting to be dismissed and switch our tassels to the opposite side of our caps.

Crazy how time flies huh?

After today, life will be thrown at us, and we'll be expected to figure it out by ourselves We're bound to make mistakes but with what we've learned here at Waterford Kettering, we'll be able to navigate through them. We'll miss the people and the things we've done, but we can't let those memories hinder our opportunity of living in the moment. Throw out your regrets and learn from your mistakes.
Make the memories you have, the good and the bad, a part of yourself in order to grow and accept who you truly are. We've been in this together for years, and with what we've learned through our beloved family and friends, we're able to go into the future believing that something will work out for us. It could be anything, we may become doctors, lawyers, teachers, engineers, and artists; we don't have to know right now. That's what the next few years are for. To figure out who we are, make new memories and enjoy what life has given to us. It may have been a bumpy ride to get to where we are now, but we made it! Now we're given the opportunity to experiment with life; Take advantage of it and discover what you love.

Congratulations class of 2014! We did it!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It looks good to me.

Status