Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. Newbie
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jan 2014
    • Posts: 16

    "Bunched up" as a synonym for "generalise" ?

    In a discussion with a friend I wanted to make the point that he shouldn't generalise about people from different countries and call them all using the same, collective term. Can I say "you shouldn't bunch up all those countries into this generic 'South Asian' term" ?
    If not, what word should be used here? I'm looking for a word that would mean, "aggregate into one generic category in an unnecessary, superficial way". But also, a word that is colloquial rather than formal i.e. "generalise" sounds a bit formal to me.

  2. Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 25,483

    Re: "Bunched up" as a synonym for "generalise" ?

    You could consider 'lump together'.

    Click here to read more suggestions — especially in post #5.

Similar Threads

  1. [Vocabulary] 2 vocab questions, visiting a barber, synonym for "generalise"
    By euromike in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-May-2014, 08:41
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17-Sep-2012, 04:23
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Jul-2012, 19:53
  4. Does "to be ahorse" work as synonym of "to be successful"?
    By goodmasterInfo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-Jun-2008, 14:14
  5. confusing words "expressed" or "express" and "named" or"names"
    By Dawood Usmani in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2007, 19:33


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts