• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

Problem on Improve Listening

I have been practicing listening approximately for 2 years, 4-5 hours a day.
    (TOEFL Books,Open forum,BBC,Tactics for listening, ...were my source for listening)
    But why do I still have problems on this skill.I think after 2 years I should n't have any problem.
    But most of the time that I listen to new context I could n't understand clearly.
    what 's wrong with this?
    I knew my listening is improving but I want to be perfect in this skill that I am not now.
    I am sure my IQ is in the lowest level.
    I started by A.J Hoge method.
    Last edited by bhaisahab; 21-May-2014 at 19:00. Reason: Remove advertising link.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Problem on Improve Listening

Quote Originally Posted by nininaz View Post
    I have been practicing listening approximately for 2 years, 4-5 hours a day. Actually, you have been listening all of your life. Specify which type of listening.
    (TOEFL Books,Open forum,BBC,Tactics for listening, ...were my sources for listening) Space after a comma.
    But why do I still have problems on this skill (A question - put a ? after a question). I think after 2 years I shouldn't have any problem. How long do you think it takes a child to learn a language? A child who learns quickly can understand most things within four or five years. This understanding would be limited to simple words and concepts. I have adult students who have lived in the US for over 10 years and they cannot understand what I am saying if I change the word "income" to "revenue".
    But most of the time that I listen to new context I couldn't understand clearly.
    what 's wrong with this? It's not "this", it's me.
    I knew (know - knew is the past tense) my listening is improving but I want to be perfect in this skill that I am not now. Perfection is the best. One cannot be better (or more perfect) than the best.
    I am sure my IQ is in the lowest level. You can take an IQ test but I don't believe that it is in the lowest level.
    I started by A.J Hoge method.
    Sometimes people try too hard. You seem to be working with sources that cannot respond to you verbally. It would be better if you spoke to, and listened to, native English speakers. Years ago I worked with a man from London. I had problems understanding him because he spoke too fast and used terms which I was not familiar with - many of which started with "Bloody". My Mexican students tell me that they have difficulties understanding Cubans for the same reason - they speak faster than Mexicans and use terms specific to their homeland.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

Re: Problem on Improve Listening

Quote Originally Posted by Gillnetter View Post
    Sometimes people try too hard. You seem to be working with sources that cannot respond to you verbally. It would be better if you spoke to, and listened to, native English speakers. Years ago I worked with a man from London. I had problems understanding him because he spoke too fast and used terms which I was not familiar with - many of which started with "Bloody". My Mexican students tell me that they have difficulties understanding Cubans for the same reason - they speak faster than Mexicans and use terms specific to their homeland.
    Hello Dear Teacher,
    I really appreciate your great response as well as your patient for correcting my faults.
    One of the bold weakness on me is ,I want to be perfect on listening, speaking .And I want to speak like a native speaker as soon as possible,
    But I forget that it will take me at least 4-5 years.
    Your comment make my spirit high, In particular when you mentioned to students who are not as good as they are expected to be.Because I always think there was some thing wrong on my IQ.
    My resources were A.J Hoge Effortless English also (It was based on Native American )
    Thanks a lot
    Last edited by nininaz; 22-May-2014 at 13:15.