[Vocabulary] Garbage / litter / trash / refuse etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

euromike

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Which should I use in the following situations? I'm in the UK, so this is a question mainly about BrE usage, although if some AmE experts would like to reply, that would also be helpful!

(1) plastic bin under my kitchen sink - what do I call stuff that goes in it, and what do I call that bin?
(2) bin next to my desk in the office - mostly for paper - same question as (1)?
(3) large bin for all residents of the building, into which (1) gets emptied every few days?
(4) bins in the street, for tourists/shoppers/etc to throw their newspapers, empty sandwich boxes etc in?

thank you all for replies

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Which should I use in the following situations? I'm in the UK, so this is a question mainly about BrE usage, although if some AmE experts would like to reply, that would also be helpful!

(1) plastic bin under my kitchen sink - what do I call stuff that goes in it, and what do I call that bin? Rubbish/rubbish bin.
(2) bin next to my desk in the office - mostly for paper - same question as (1)? Waste paper/waste paper basket.
(3) large bin for all residents of the building, into which (1) gets emptied every few days? Rubbish/communal rubbish bin.
(4) bins in the street, for tourists/shoppers/etc to throw their newspapers, empty sandwich boxes etc in? Litter/litter bin.

thank you all for replies

In the UK you most probably have a recycling bin as well.

euromike

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
thanks, this is interesting. So "rubbish" is just for stuff I discard in my house, but the moment I take the same empty bottle and put it in a bin in the street it becomes "litter"?

Is "trash" only American?

Status
Not open for further replies.