Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
She isn't an architect if she doesn't go to university.
Is it grammatically correct?
Best regards.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It doesn't make sense.

fadysandy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
should it be written:
She won't be an architect if she doesn't go to university.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Should it be written: "She won't be an architect if she doesn't go to university"?

That's better. I suggest "become" rather than "be", though.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

"She isn't an architect if she didn't go to university", is probably true too.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

I might have to start plagiarizing Barb_D because this whole 1st, 2nd, 3rd conditional business really isn't my area of expertise.

But from what I do know about the 2nd conditional I'd say, no. That would probably be the case with, "She wouldn't be an architect if she didn't go to university."

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"If she didn't go to university" should mean that she does go to university at present.
"She wouldn't be an architect if she had not gone to university" is the third conditional.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Not a teacher.

Last edited:

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

I think you're right about the 3rd conditional but you're wrong when you say, "If she didn't go to university should mean that she does go to university at present."

Either she did or didn't go to university in the past. It tells us nothing about what she's doing now.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In a second conditional clause, the past subjunctive refers to an unreal situation at present, that's why I think that "lf she didn't go to university" should mean that she does go to university at present.

I am not a teacher, please correct me if I am wrong.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

Matthew, I said/wrote it. I know what I meant, and I didn't start the sentence with a hypothetical proposition of, "lf she didn't go to university..."

I stated the fact that, "She isn't an architect if she didn't go to university". It was actually intended as a vaguely humorous variation on the original theme, but has now become the main subject of the thread.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Roman, please forgive me for my being argumentative again.

"She won't be an architect if she doesn't go to university"─ the first conditional which refers to the present.
"She won't be an architect if she didn't go to university"─ the second conditional which refers to the present.
"She wouldn't be an architect if she hadn't gone to university"─ the third conditional which refers to the past.

I am not a teacher, please correct me if I am wrong.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"She won't/can't be an architect if she doesn't go to university"─ the first conditional which refers to the present. (future)
"She wouldn't/couldn't be an architect if she didn't go to university"─ the second conditional which refers to the present.
"She wouldn't/couldn't have been an architect if she hadn't gone to university"─ the third conditional which refers to the past.
I think you'll find that those corrections are closer to the numbered conditionals. Somehow that sentence (the concept) doesn't fit well with numbered condtionals.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I know the correct third conditional should be "wouldn't have been". But if I mean she wouldn't be an architect now, may I say "She wouldn't be an architect if she hadn't gone to university"?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes, you can. You should say what you mean, and not worry about whether it has a number - as far as I'm concerned. The numbering system might be useful for beginners in getting the sequence of tenses right, but once you understand what you're trying to say, the number system loses most of its value.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
1. "She wouldn't be so busy if she didn't go to university" the correct second conditional.
2. "She won't be an architect if she didn't go to university" an exception as described in some grammar sites.

Similarly, "wouldn't be so busy" refers to the present and "won't be an architect" refers to the future, are they correct?

"She isn't an architect if she didn't go to university"
In terms of conditional sentences, is it wrong?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes, 1. refers to the present.
2. could refer to the future. It could also refer to the present if "She won't be an architect" is a supposition, as in "She can't be an architect (now) if she hasn't been to university".
Dialogue:
A: "Maybe she's an architect."
B: "No she wouldn't/couldn't/won't/can't be an architect. She didn't go to university."

This all assumes that you have to go to university to be an architect.
The quote from Roman means roughly the same thing.
They are all slightly different expressions of the logical proposition: If (no university), then (not an architect).

Status
Not open for further replies.