Student or Learner
Hi, I was thinking about the word "extremist", I looked it up online and found a few examples:
- Not all fighters going to Syria are extremists, says former UK minister Shahid Malik.
- In Israel, advocates of peace are viewed as extremists.
- In liberal societies, individuals or groups that advocate the replacement of democracy with a more authoritarian regime are labelled extremists;
- What's worse, even the founding fathers are considered 'extremists' by the Pentagon.
- Why do young people become extremists?
- So the question is not whether we will be extremists, but what kind of extremists we will be.
- Saudi Woman says Western and Saudi Culture Both are Extremist.
- Gender issues were all at one time or another viewed as extremist.
- EU countries that adopt this line will automatically be labelled as extremist.
- Most tattoos and symbols identified are considered controversial or extremist by the Anti-Defamation League.
My question is: Can I use the noun to refer to people (as in the first six examples) and do I need to use the adjective to refer to things (as in the last four examples)?
Yes and yes.