Current Location
Japan
I didn't, but it's a good one. ;-)

A

aliaa

This sentence can be read forward and backword:

MADAM I AM ADAM ;-)

shenevski

I must confess, it is the first time I hear (read) about palindromes. Thanks all for the useful information.:up:

roger dickinson

Member Type
English Teacher
the longest palindrome i know off hand is...
'able was i ere i saw elba', said to be a quotation from napoleon, but i've always thought it odd that he should've said it in english, if at all.
there's also a very good german pop group called, to rococo rot.
i'd be very interested to learn others.

roger

green_dog

Member Type
Academic
Re: hello

Ron is correct. :roll:

PS - Say: Sorry, but I do not agree with you. :wink:

The capital letter N is different when upside down from when right side up. Although it's the same under a 180 degree rotation, it is reversed after a vertical reflection.

Only the capital letters B, C, D, E, H, I, K, O, and X are invariant under reflection (depending on the font). So, words like "DEED", "BIB", and "DID" are the same both upside down and backwards.

Last edited:

rija

Member Type
Student or Learner
Pls tell me is this sentence is correct urgent

I Was Joking About The Gift And Yes You Are Late But Any Ways Thank U For Wishing Atleast U Dont Forget To Wish Me

hotmetal

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
This sentence can be read forward and backword:

MADAM I AM ADAM ;-)

No it can't! :lol: Backwards it reads MADA MA I MADAM

How about ROTAVATOR (an alternative name for a rotary tiller, a machine for digging earth, named from a manufacturer of such implements)

Here's another:
The Sator Square is a word square containing a Latin palindrome featuring the words SATOR AREPO TENET OPERA ROTAS written in a square so that they may be read top-to-bottom, bottom-to-top, left-to-right, and right-to-left. The earliest known appearance of the square was found in the ruins of Herculaneum.
The square rearranges to form a Greek cross reading PATER NOSTER horizontally and vertically, leaving two of the letters A and O, taken as Alpha and Omega. Thus, the square is linked with Christianity and may have been a safe, hidden way for early Christians to signal their presence to each other in a city. A Sator Square uncovered in Manchester, England is said to be the earliest known evidence of Christianity in Britain.

Sator Square - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SUDHKAMP

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Kannada
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
There once was a man named Dan. He was wise and attracted many followers. They all lived near him and became known as Dan's clan.
The government feared the Clan of Dan for their enlightened wisdom, and plotted their downfall. They passed laws and soon the Clan of Dan was exiled to live by the river. There they had plenty of water, however.
The government saw that they had water and plotted some more. They evicted the Clan of Dan from its land, forcing it to move far from the river.
But the members of the clan were wise, and they dug a trench from the river to their new land.
Then the government passed a new law that forbade the Clan of Dan from taking any water anywhere in the state. So they dug the trench all the way north to the Canadian border, and the Canadian government promised them water, and the trench became a great canal, and so they prevailed.

And the moral of this dumb story, if you didn't already see it a mile away,
is
A Dan, a clan, a canal - Canada!

POOR DAN IS IN A DROOP

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Will this pass:

MADAM I'M ADAM
Actually, that is the palindrome. The other one would read backwards as: MADAM, A I MADAM. Clearly, that is not a palindrome.

:)

Copy-editor

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Grenada
Was it Eliot's toilet I saw

Member Type