Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Hello,

I hope you can help me with this inquiry: I've seen that you can either use the expression "Hotel manager" and "Manager of the hotel" as well, but which is the difference between those two, if any? I've chosen just an example because I see this situation may apply to some other examples and I cannot figure out how to decide for one or the other.

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards.

Julia

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Both are correct. But I think that in many if not most contexts "hotel manager" is more common and more natural.

The use of nouns as substantive adjectives is extremely common in English. You should study and learn such forms. Here are some random examples:

cricket umpire
first base coach
chicken soup
dog vomit (a popular and delicious roadside snack in India)
curve ball
string theory (for all you scientists out there)

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with Probus's information except for the name. A "substantive adjective" is one that is used in place of the noun it usually describes. "We need to protect the old (people) and the weak (people)."

Probus's examples are "attributive nouns", those used as adjectives to modify other nouns.

juliaines

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Thank you both for your answers.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your appreciation is welcome, juliaines, but there is no need to write a new post to say Thank you. Simply click the Thank button on any posts you find helpful. It means that we don't have to open the thread again to read your new post and then find that it doesn't include any new information or an additional question. It saves your time and ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.