• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

any odor that offends us

1.Does "as is that of very healthy children" imply "as no ordor very healthy children is something"? What does it mean?
    33)It is said of some, like Alexander the Great, that their sweat emitted a sweet odor, owing to some rare and extraordinary constitution of theirs, of which many researchers are currently seeking the cause. But the common make-up of bodies is the opposite, and the best condition they may have is to be free of odor. The sweetness even of the purest breath has nothing more excellent about it than to be without any odor that offends us, as is that of very healthy children. That is why, says one of the researchers, a woman smells good when she does not smell. The most perfect smell for a woman is to smell of nothing, as they say that her actions smell best when they are unnoticeable and silent.
    Last edited by keannu; 28-May-2014 at 23:44.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: any odor that offends us

Where did you find this?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

From a highschool mock-up test material for college entrance exam. Is the grammar weird or the basic concept?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

It's a very un-native-like in the writing and the concept is just so odd.

This writing is bizarre, but not as odd as the idea that there are scores of scientists trying to figure out why Alexander the Great smelled good when he was sweating.
    "owing to some rare and extraordinary constitution of theirs, of which many researchers are currently seeking the cause"
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.