My friend's daughter tells him that she doesn't like Ice cream anymore. My friend re

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

My friend's daughter tells him that she doesn't like Ice cream anymore. My friend replies:

I thought you liked/like Ice cream!

Do a past tense verb always follow thought or are there times where thought is followed by a non past tense verb.

For example: I thought you like ice cream!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You can always use the past tense after "I thought". It's similar to reported speech where you can always backshift the verb in the second clause.
"I thought you like ice cream" sounds strange.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In that context, I would use "liked".

B

B45

You can always use the past tense after "I thought". It's similar to reported speech where you can always backshift the verb in the second clause.
"I thought you like ice cream" sounds strange.

Could you provide some examples where thought isn't followed by a past tense verb?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Could you provide some examples where thought isn't followed by a past tense verb?
Yes, with modal verbs.
"I thought you would like it." That could refer to the past, or it could mean "When I bought it yesterday, I thought you would like it now that I am giving it to you."
"I thought you could handle it", "I thought you must be pregnant", etc.
But I can't think of an example that is necessarily followed by a present tense or future tense verb. Perhaps someone else can.

B

B45

What about:

I just thought it's easier that way.

And

I just thought it would be easier that way.

When talking about a past event. Are both okay?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Sure, "it's" can mean "it was" and "would be" is a modal construction. Nothing new there.
Out of "I just thought it was/is easier that way", I'd say 'was'. Certainly 'is' is not necessary. The challenge was to find an example where the simple present tense was a superior choice.
Yes, "I just thought, 'It is easier that way'" is correct, because that's a direct quote, but when you express it as a reported thought, the common choices are "was" or "would be".

B

B45

Sure, "it's" can mean "it was" and "would be" is a modal construction. Nothing new there.
Out of "I just thought it was/is easier that way", I'd say 'was'. Certainly 'is' is not necessary. The challenge was to find an example where the simple present tense was a superior choice.
Yes, "I just thought, 'It is easier that way'" is correct, because that's a direct quote, but when you express it as a reported thought, the common choices are "was" or "would be".

It's can mean both it was and it is?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It's can mean both it was and it is?
Not often. Don't take that as a rule. It only potentially means "it was" in the case you used it because we would normally say "it was" there.
I should have expressed that differenly. In fact, "It's" usually means "It is" or "It has" (as an auxiliary).

Status
Not open for further replies.