Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
Hello there!
I'd like to ask whether the sentence "I suggested that we organized a campaign." (indirect speech) is correct ...:lol:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
No it isn't. You want, "I suggested that we organize a campaign."

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is "organize" the present subjunctive here?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If the OP does not mean to add emphasis, can "organized" be used grammatically?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Only in the sense of being unaware of something that has already been organized. Say you walk into a room and there is a party going on. It would be fair to suggest at that moment that someone had organized a party.

But when talking about suggesting that someone do something in the future, you need to use the subjunctive.

aggigar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
That's what I thought, but I saw it once in a grammar book for BrE .... So is there any chance that it might actually be correct?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's what I thought, but I saw it once in a grammar book for BrE .... So is there any chance that it might actually be correct?

I'm no expert on British use of the subjunctive. Perhaps a BrE speaker can comment.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes, it's correct in a weird context. You all wake up with amnesia from drinking too heavily last night. You all try to remember what you did. Someone suggested that you planned a coup, you suggested that you organised a campaign. That's the correct, if very uncommon, usage of the past tense here. If you can't handle the subjunctive, you can say, "I suggested that we should organise a campaign".
Also, grammar books are often full of examples of what not to do. The sentences are generally preceded by a *. So you may have seen it as an example of an incorrect sentence.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Someone suggested that you planned a coup, you suggested that you organised a campaign.
Do you mean it will be correct only if "you" do not remember such suggestions were made"?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, it's correct only if you don't remember organizing the party and are guessing (making suggestions) about what you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.