Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovenian
Home Country
Slovenia
Current Location
Slovenia
Hello there!
I am writing an essay about Cather in the Rye and as I concluded it, I am now questioning some of my grammar parts. Since I am a foreign speaker, I would appreciate your help.

1. Allie provides him a safe, indigenous shelter, to which he is running back more than he wants to admit.

In this case I'm questioning, whether it should be ", which he is running back to more than...". I really don't know.

2. He is in the winter of his life, albeit his pure memories of Jane Gallagher and his ideal perception of a girl he once played with repicture the summer into it.

Do you repicture summer back to life, to life, into life or in life?

3. In Holden's mind his emotional thoughts are simmering with such a great passion, thus I ascertain he really does care for Jane.

In this sentence I am just wondering, whether the verb 'ascertain' is used correctly. Should I change it with something like 'find out' or 'figuring out'?

Also I want to know what is the difference between words 'utter(ly)' ans 'sheer'? Do they have the same meaning and can they be used for negative and positive connotation?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it! :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We cannot help you with any essays which are a homework assignment. Any work you submit must be your own work. I suggest you make sure you spell the name of the book correctly when you submit the essay.

Status
Not open for further replies.