Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
A practicum is interesting opportunity to learn and gain experience in the teaching field. Although it requires time and energy, it is fun part of the curriculum that many students have considered to be a highlight of their education. Participating allowed me to experience the different areas, challenges and which teachers have to offer. The practicum has given me a chance as a future teacher to determine which group I want to teach and showed me which strategies I want to take before really jumping in with both feet. Moreover, it developed my own personal principles and beliefs in regard to the teaching. There are so many things I’ve learnt from teachers that I ‘ve observed and I certainly got the experience of learning from them through my practicum. I always think that the role of the teachers is just to teach and direct everything .

Now I am aware of the fact that is not the real role of effective teachers . I have learned to look at the lesson from the learner’s point of view and I have come to realize that I should focus on what the learners are doing and what is happening in their brains when I plan a lesson. At first I worried about such times in a lesson ,but now I see that actually this is an important phase and I can relax in this new role as a resource person who is only active when needed. As I walked into the classroom for all days of observations, I was greeted with a warm “Hello” In fact, each time that I entered a new classroom I was given the same greeting. All of the teachers were more than happy to be helping a future educator by letting me observe their teaching styles and learn new techniques to use. Many of the things that we have talked about in class were explained for me in the classrooms that I visited.

Due to the practicum, I believe that An effective teacher is one who can run an operative classroom, and touches the lives of children.
To be an effective teacher I should have several characteristics for student success. Positive expectations, good classroom organization and good lessons plan for students. Once the teacher has positive expectations, the students will perform to my expectations. If I believe that all students are above average these expectations will successfully transmit to the student, and they will succeed. A teacher who is always looking for the best possible work from children will stimulate the child to try their hardest in order to please the teacher. Also, Classroom is important because it used for a wide variety of activities. For my observing practicum experience, I believe that the classroom should be organized and large to support efficient learning and reduce behavior problems ,as Students should be able to see and hear instruction and have efficient access to learning materials such as, boards, screens, presentations and displays. It is important to teach student the importance of organization and makes him or her responsible for as much of him or her organization as possible.

Through my observation, I’ve discovered that Proper classroom planning will keep teachers organized and on way while teaching, therefore allowing them to teach more as well as help students reach objectives easily. Also, the better prepared the teachers are, the more likely they will be able to handle whatever unpredictably happens in the lesson. Also, it is a proof that the teacher has taken a large amount of effort in their teaching. I’ve learnt that an effective teacher can encourage learners to use the target language in their activities. Once I was observing one of the classes in the elementary school I noticed that learners tend to speak Arabic in groups when they get into hot discussions about their topic. Then the teacher told stimulated them to speak in English and that looked to get them started the right way.

In addition, I noticed that sometimes the teacher hardly corrected the students’ mistakes when they tried to express something difficult in English.
They made lots of mistakes and the teacher let them finish and then just comment in correct English. For example, the teacher said something like Oh, I see so you couldn’t do your homework because your internet connection wasn’t working .The students never felt ashamed about their mistakes because it seemed very natural and they felt that they had connected their ideas well. I think this is really important, otherwise the student will not speak in front of the class. I also believe that a good teacher can keep and the attention of students during a lesson .

It is important that all students are within the view of the teacher at all times. This was one of the most difficult things for me when I read story for the children. Before my visits to observe in schools I’ve thought that the only way to be heard when children are working in groups is to shout into the class. However, the teachers used an easy way for this purpose. They played a very simple tune which means “Please listen to me.” and raised one arm. The children know that this means that they should stop whatever they are doing in to get short instructions or information. It worked really well and within a minute every child seemed to be listening. I also noticed that in a literature discussions that the students were all interested and paying attention because the teacher seemed excited about the text. If a teacher is noticing any student not paying attention to lessons and also may be a source of potential distraction for other students, it is time for intervention, but makes sure that rest of the class are not disturbed. Once teacher acts calm and show no reaction to student, the miss behavior will certainly stop.

But, if student is given any attention, it will additional worsens the problem. By using these simple strategies every teacher will be able to win the hearts of students and be a source of motivation and strength. I’ve learnt that Taking notes during practicum is really important is so helpful not only to write my reflection, but it is something that I’ll will always have in the future when it comes time for me to take over my own classroom thus I’ve written all what I noticed a round the classroom or during any lessons . For my observing practicum experience, motivation is important as teaching. I could tell that the teachers who always encourage their students to do better and never give up are so helpful to all their students and assist as a motivator. One of the effective teachers that I observed shared a story about her childhood.However, I can honestly say that my time spent in the classroom for my practicum proved to be the most pleasant. In addition, it Proved to me that being a teacher is something I can not only do well, but something I really want to do and taught me much more than a book ever could. After my first practicum I am not so worried about my classroom management though teacher may have surprised minutes. My real worry is my ability to plan as teachers that I observed.

In conclusion, I learned more in my practicum than I could have ever learned in the classroom. Through spending time in various classrooms, I have gained valuable information that I will take with me into student teaching and my future classroom. It is incredible what one can learn in such a short amount of time, and I look forward to the uncountable lessons I will learn in my future teaching career.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Will this be submitted to your teacher?

You need paragraphs.
You need to put spaces between words.
You need to use a consistent font, large enough to be read.

tweter

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Will this be submitted to your teacher?

You need paragraphs.
You need to put spaces between words.
You need to use a consistent font, large enough to be read.

Done:)

tweter

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Did Ineed to write again or what's the problem?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Did [strike]Ineed[/strike] I need to write it again? [strike]or[/strike] What's the problem?

No, you didn't need to write it again. Your edits have been recorded and show in post #1.

What is the purpose of your essay? Why have you written it? When will you submit it for marking?

tweter

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
No, you didn't need to write it again. Your edits have been recorded and show in post #1.

What is the purpose of your essay? Why have you written it? When will you submit it for marking?

Dear sir:
This essay is for my major, as I've joined Education. It is final reflection about my training as ateacher and need to submit on Tuesday.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Then we wish you good luck. We cannot help with any assignments of homework. All work you submit must be your own work. Your teachers/tutors are only interested in what you can do, not what we can do.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.