Do Australians consider their English as a dialect or language?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Summer123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
Hello everyone,

This is a question for native Australian English speakers. I am doing a thesis about whether or not Australian English is a language or dialect and I was wondering what native Australians consider their speech to be.

Do you think your variety of English is a variety of (British) English or do you think Australian English has developed in such a way that today it can be considered a new language? Or any other ideas?

Thank you for co-operating.

Kind regards,
Summer

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'll leave it to Australian speakers to say what they think, but one issue here is the lack of a clear definition of the difference between a dialect and a language. What is regarded as a language in one part of the world could be a dialect in another- the dialects of Chinese are said to have greater differences than some European languages.

PS As a British English speaker, I wouldn't consider Australian English to be a variety of (British) English, but a variant/variety of English. I don't see the forms of English as part of subsets, so the British, even in brackets, looks add to me.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
AusE is a dialect and a language, a variety of English. I agree with Tdol though about definitions.
As far as what the proverbial man in the street would say, No, Australian English is not a dialect, yes of course it's a language, yes it's a variety of English, maybe it's variety of British English (depending on whether this man is a monarchist or a republican), no it's not a new language - it derived from British English originally. Esperanto and Klingon are new languages.

Status
Not open for further replies.