• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Wondered what you do

She wondered what you do with a hat. Does this mean she wondered what you were going to do with a hat?

Thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wondered what you do

If by "you", the writer means "one" or "people generally", then it simply means "She wondered what is done with a hat".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Thank you emsr, because I am confused with the meaning evoked by the time frame, simple reiteration wouldn't help much, but I would appreciate if you could tell me how one could be wondering about present besides further and past. So he did wonder what you did with the hat, or he did wonder what would happen to your hat, but he did wonder what is a current state of the hat?

If he was wondering in the past for the present, it should be further for him, right?

I can't get my head around, if this expression is correct.
    Thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

As I said, without knowing what the writer means by "you", it is hard to say for sure. However, here is a situation:

Mike and Sarah are looking in the window of a shop. Most of the things in the window are familiar to them, they know what the things are and what they are for. However, there is one item which neither of them has ever seen before. It has a sign on it saying "Flobgrafter, 12.50". Mike says "They have something called a flobgrafter. Have you ever heard of that?" Sarah replies "No, never". Mike says "I wonder what you do with a flobgrafter!"

Mike is not asking Sarah what she does with it. He is not asking what she will do with it. He is asking "What is the purpose of a flobgrafter?" or "I wonder what people (the people who have flobgrafters) do with them".

The present tense here is used for a habitual action. He is wondering what the habitual action is for flobgrafter owners.

So - in your original quote (you did not give the source of the quote, by the way), it is possible that "She" (whoever she is) wonders what the purpose of a hat is. She might have never seen a hat before and she cannot imagine what people do with them. "You" can be used as a generic term for "unspecified people". It doesn't work in all circumstances so I don't recommend just trying to use it as a learner.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.