Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
English teacher

Sorry this will be a little long.
I am planning on giving my middle-school students a teacher/student contract on the first day back from summer holidays
to remind them about the rules/expectations in my classrooms, as well as consequences.
The following is just a draft. Could you please have a look at it and see if the choice of language and vocabulary seems appropriate to you?

(1) First period – When you enter the classroom you are allowed to socialize until the bell rings. After that, please see rule no. 2.
From second to last period – Be in your assigned seats and stand up when I enter the classroom. Keep silent and do not sit down without first obtaining permission.

(2) From first to last period – While I am preparing everything down and checking that everyone is present, take out all necessary materials for class. You are allowed to use a quiet voice.

(3) Noises are unacceptable. Do not talk when I am teaching or talking.

(4) Raise your hand when you have a question and wait to be called on. Likewise, raise your hand and ask for permission to get out of your seat.

(5) Do not ask off-topic questions at inappropriate times.

(6) Listen carefully to and follow directions from the teacher the first time they are given.

(7) From first to fourth period – The bell at the end of the period does not dismiss you. So, do not move at the bell. I dismiss you, not the bell.
Last period – I will give you five minutes at the end of class to pack up your things, but the bell does not dismiss class, I do.

(8) Come to class prepared to work everyday with all required materials. Do your homework regularly.

(9) Group / Pair Work – When you work in groups or with your deskmate, use your group or classroom voices.

(10) Class tests – Keep silent when you are done with your class test.

(11) Do not eat or drink in the classroom, unless I give permission.

(12) Keep and leave your table and room clean.

(13) You are not permitted to talk in the hallway. It may disturb other classrooms, no matter if the door is closed or open.

(14) Be respectful of people (your fellow classmates, teachers and visitors to the classroom) and school property.

(15) Do not touch anything unless it belongs to you.

(16) NEGATIVE ATTITUDE: Do not use inappropriate language, ever. Do not fight, push or throw objects. / POSITIVE ATTITUDE: Use kind words and be helpful.

(17) NEGATIVE ATTITUDE: Do not make mean or inappropriate comments to classmates or laugh if they do something wrong. / POSITIVE ATTITUDE: Listen quietly when someone is speaking and be respectful of everyone’s opinions.

(18) Do not make fun of those with disabilities but make friends with them instead.

Thanks a lot.
WW

N.B. In Italy we usually have five periods a day.

Teaching English Games

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
France
I thought that "noises are unacceptable" might lead to some jokes !

It could be better to put "Noise is unacceptable" or go positive rather than negative and put "Silence is golden. How can you learn if you are talking to your friends?"

Shelley Ann Vernon
http://www.teachingenglishgames.com

Walt Whitman

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I see what you mean, TEG.
I wish my kids would also be able to detect the possible implications of the plural form.
I'm going to follow your advice, though, and remove the "s".
Thanks.
WW

Status
Not open for further replies.