Other
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Dear teacher
Is it possible to separate preposition from object? I mean is it possible to separate "on"(preposition) from " education" (object) in the example below?
for example "A lot of money should be spent on education by the government" it is grammatical.
is it possible to say " On education a lot of money should be spent by the government"
or "Education should be spent on a lot of money by the government"
or " Education should be spent on by the government" I'm not a native English speaker but the last two examples seems ungrammatical to me.
Can we conclude that object of preposition is inseparable form preposition in this example on can't be separated from education?
Thank you very much

Last edited:

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Dear teacher
Is it possible to separate the preposition from the object? Yes, see below.
"A lot of money should be spent on education by the government." Is it grammatical? Yes, but it's not the meaning you want. "on education by the government" means that the government is doing the educating.
is it possible to say "On education a lot of money should be spent by the government." no Don't leave a space between the quotation mark and the first word.
or "Education should be spent on a lot of money by the government." no
or "Education should be spent on by the government." no It's understandable, but no good native speaker would say that. Say 'Education is something the government should spend (a lot of) money on.'
Can we conclude that the object of the preposition is inseparable form the preposition in this example or can't be separated from "education"? See above.
Thank you very much

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.