• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Armenia

A or the

Hi. I need your help. I am confused about which article to put in the underlined sentence. "Today is May 12, the 20thanniversary of the ceasefire which has nothing to do with peace yet. Theceasefire is not a resolution to the issue, not even an end of theconflict."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Re: A or the

Quote Originally Posted by Mher View Post
    I am confused about which article to put in the underlined sentence. The ceasefire is not a resolution to the issue, not even an end of the conflict."
    Which of the articles is giving you a headache?
    Please be aware that I'm neither a native English speaker nor a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Armenia

First of all, can I assume from the context that it is a general statement on the nature of ceasefires. If yes, I think I should omit some articles. Otherwise, I wonder which article to put before "end of the conflict"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

I think you'd have to assume from the context that it's a ceasefire which began on May 12th, 20 years ago. So you can't assume that this was a general statement on the nature of ceasfire. If it were, it would probably read, "Ceasefires are not a resolution to any issue, nor even an end to a conflict." Otherwise, you use either 'the' or 'a' before 'conflict'. I'm not sure what the difference is in this case between the 'issue' and the 'conflict'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Mher View Post
    Hi. I need your help. I am confused about which article to put in the underlined sentence. "Today is May 12, the 20thanniversary of the ceasefire which has nothing to do with peace yet. Theceasefire is not a resolution to the issue, not even an end of theconflict."
    The articles in the sentence work. I assume that "issue" refers to the underlying political dispute, which could involve things such as territory, human rights, etc. The "conflict" appears to be an armed conflict which was supposed to have ended with the ceasefire, but didn't.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Armenia

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I'm not sure what the difference is in this case between the 'issue' and the 'conflict'.
    There is a real difference and you are right that I should underline it. So, the revised version of the above-mentioned sentence will be: "The ceasefire is not a resolution to the conflict (in general), nor even an end to the battle (concrete).