How can I response to an interviewer if interviewing questions are too personal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOEYW

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello there,

Yesterday I encountered several interviewing questions in a small firm, which is my first interviewing experience though, I just feel like it is not appropriate in any cases. For instance, the interviewer who is the owner of the small firm asked me how I consider my future spouse and how many children in my family, do I have any relative in the city, and even how much my tuition fees are!!! Basically none of his interviewing questions are related to the position. To be honest, from the very beginning of the interview I was not comfortable with the questions. And his explanation for the questions is because I have no working experiences to talk about, he had to find some topics to start with. It did not make any sense to me!

PLease let me know is it common to the regular situation? How should I reply to the interview in case that happens to me again in the next interview?

Thanks!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't know what the rules are in the USA (where you are) but in the UK, those questions would not be asked and would break several employment laws/rules. Employers here are not allowed to question someone's family situation or, in the case of a woman, their plans for children. I can't imagine what relevance they thought your tuition fees had.

I would not work for anyone whose interview included no questions or information about the position. If that happened in an interview, after the first couple of questions, I would probably ask "Please can we move on to discussing the actual position and my specific experience, qualifications and skills for that position?"

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The questions were illegal.
You should tell the HR person in the company what happened. That person will end up getting the company sued.

thedaffodils

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is it legal to ask salary history in the world of English speaking countries when a company interviews with a potential employee?

Thank you!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US, it's a legal question, but like all interview questions, you don't have to answer it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm fairly certain that is legal in the UK too. In some cases, you will be asked to put your salary from previous jobs on the application form. However, in more high-level jobs, it's common for a company to simply ask a candidate what salary they are looking for.

thedaffodils

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You should tell the HR person in the company what happened. That person will end up getting the company sued.

I don't really understand the words I highlighted in blue.

- Who is that person?

- Who will get sued? That boss who asked the illegal questions?

- Who will sue?

- Does the OP need to provide with proofs if she/he wants to do?

Thank you!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The person who did the interview is the problem. If you were the interviewee, you could choose to sue the whole company because of the actions of the interviewer. He/she broke employment laws but it is the entire company which gets sued.

"That person" = the interviewer.
"Who will get sued?" - the company
"Who will sue?" = The interviewee (you)
"Does the OP need to provide proof if he/she wants to sue?" = It is difficult to provide proof or evidence unless you were recording the interview (which is probably illegal!) You would need to consult a lawyer to find out exactly what you need to do.

Or, as Barb said, you could contact the HR department and tell them what the interviewer did. Hopefully, they will be able to explain to the interviewer why those questions cannot be asked and make sure that the interviewer does not do it again. That doesn't change the outcome of the interview although I suppose it's possible they might invite you back to be interviewed by someone else, to give you a second chance. The HR department should be grateful if someone tells them what the interviewer has been doing.

thedaffodils

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you very much for your replies.

I am afraid it doesn't practically work if the interviewee wants to sue the company.

First, though I knew nothing about relevant laws of Western countries, I am sure the interviewee needs to provide the court with evidences. However it is rare that an interviewee would intentionally record the dialogue, which was illegal and totally unexpected.

Second, a lawyer would charge for consultation. It would take time and money for it.

Third, the law violator was the boss. I doubt the HR would speak up for the OP and confront their boss, especially it was a small company. Even if she/he got hired, I think the boss would try to make trouble with her or him

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I didn't say there was any chance of a successful lawsuit. However, theoretically, employment laws are made so as to avoid such things happening. I'm sure appalling interview techniques happen all over the world all the time.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And they are more appalling when it comes to women.

thedaffodils

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
(Not a teacher)

Well, I think an job interview is on the basis of equal footing, which means the company is considering to choose you, and vice versa, you are considering the position as well, instead of begging for a job.

I wouldn't like to work for a company, that breaches the law which is common sense, and is devoid of professionalism. Even if I land the job, I might not be comfortable to work with/for those people like that. I would quit the interview politely, and leave, so both of us don't have to waste the time any more.

If I desperately need it, and I might steer the topic from the personal questions to my qualification to the position.

I would nip the bud at the very beginning. Don't give them the second chance to ask me the questions that are personal.

Boss: How much is your tuition fee?

I: Do I have to answer this question? I think it might be kinda personal to me. (Smile) I'd be happy to present my professionism and experiences to you. What do you think of my qualification? etc.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Third, the law violator was the boss. I doubt the HR would speak up for the OP and confront their boss, especially it was a small company. Even if she/he got hired, I think the boss would try to make trouble with her or him

You're wrong here. This is exactly what HR is expected to do. A low-level manager who is so clueless that he doesn't even know he's putting the company at risk needs to be counseled by HR.

thedaffodils

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You're wrong here. This is exactly what HR is expected to do. A low-level manager who is so clueless that he doesn't even know he's putting the company at risk needs to be counseled by HR.

Laws are laws; Reality is reality.

People take sides all the time. And the law requires evidences, proofs, witnesses, and takes time, money etc.

Why didn't the interviewee nip the bud at the very beginning, but allowed them to ask again and again if those questions were irrelevant and personal?

There are not always black and white in the world. I would consider the costs, i.e. money, time, before I complain to the company or file a lawsuit against the company, and whether or not I will win the case if I do.

Last edited:

ZOEYW

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That is exactly what my concern is in this case. The interviewer is the owner of the small firm and there is no HR at all.

Thank you very much for your replies.

I am afraid it doesn't practically work if the interviewee wants to sue the company.

First, though I knew nothing about relevant laws of Western countries, I am sure the interviewee needs to provide the court with evidences. However it is rare that an interviewee would intentionally record the dialogue, which was illegal and totally unexpected.

Second, a lawyer would charge for consultation. It would take time and money for it.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Laws are laws; Reality is reality.

People take sides all the time. And the law requires evidences, proofs, witnesses, and takes time, money etc.
And where did I advocate a lawsuit?? I said let the HR people know. In any professional firm, they would be grateful to know one of their interviewing managers needed some training in what's legal.

And since this this was the firm owner, run away. If he is up in your business during the interview, he'll be that way when you're an employee.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am sorry if I misunderstood the No. 2 post of this thread.

I wrote post #2 and I simply pointed out that some of the things were described broke employment laws. That doesn't mean anyone has to sue them. I would contact the HR department first too.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My company's HR sends out a document every time they schedule an interview explaining what can and can not be asked about. For example, you can ask "are you able to legally work in this country?" but not "what country are you from?"

A small firm that doesn't have this type of guidance is just asking for trouble.

thedaffodils

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I wrote post #2 and I simply pointed out that some of the things were described broke employment laws. That doesn't mean anyone has to sue them. I would contact the HR department first too.

It should be Post 3 by Barb.

Status
Not open for further replies.