• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

These sentences are a bit confusing to me. Can someone explain. Thanks.

Taken from http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=95

Approximately 10-20% of subjects are able to maintain a weight loss of at least 5% after 5 years. The results of other research also look grim; five years after completing structured weight loss programs, people only maintain a 3% weight loss.

Let us consider a sample set of 100 subjects. The above means that only 10-20 of them are able to maintain their weight loss after 5 years. If yes, what does maintain a fat loss of 5% mean? So assume a guy loses 100 lbs so maintain a fat loss of 5% means he will gain back 95lbs??

Very confusing for me. Can someone explain? Same issue with the below sentences

You can see that over 35% of people were successful at maintaining a weight loss of at least 5% for more than a year. On average, this was a 29 pound weight loss. The numbers drop off from there, with only 17% maintaining a 10% weight loss. However, of the people in that 17%, the average weight weight loss maintained was 42 pounds.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: These sentences are a bit confusing to me. Can someone explain. Thanks.

<<<Let us consider a sample set of 100 subjects. The above means that only 10-20 of them are able to maintain their weight loss after 5 years. If yes, what does maintain a fat loss of 5% mean? So assume a guy loses 100 lbs so maintain a fat loss of 5% means he will gain back 95lbs?>>>

No you need to look at the graph. It shows that around 65% of people maintained a weight loss of 5% or greater. The leaves 35% who did not. You are confusing "fat" loss with "weight loss". They are not always the same. If a guy lost 100 pounds, he would probably have been in excess of 250 pounds. The hundred pound weight loss would then have been at least 40%. If he regained weight to 5% loss, he would then have regained 87.5 pounds, leaving him at 237.5 pounds, which is 5% less than 250 pounds. If he started out at 300 pounds, the 100 pound weight loss would have been 33.3%.
    If he regained weight to 5% loss, he would then have regained 85 pounds, leaving him at 285 pounds, which is 5% less than 300 pounds.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I think I need a maths forum!
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    <<<Let us consider a sample set of 100 subjects. The above means that only 10-20 of them are able to maintain their weight loss after 5 years. If yes, what does maintain a fat loss of 5% mean? So assume a guy loses 100 lbs so maintain a fat loss of 5% means he will gain back 95lbs?>>>

No you need to look at the graph. It shows that around 65% of people maintained a weight loss of 5% or greater. The leaves 35% who did not. You are confusing "fat" loss with "weight loss". They are not always the same. If a guy lost 100 pounds, he would probably have been in excess of 250 pounds. The hundred pound weight loss would then have been at least 40%. If he regained weight to 5% loss, he would then have regained 87.5 pounds, leaving him at 237.5 pounds, which is 5% less than 250 pounds. If he started out at 300 pounds, the 100 pound weight loss would have been 33.3%.
    If he regained weight to 5% loss, he would then have regained 85 pounds, leaving him at 285 pounds, which is 5% less than 300 pounds.

Thanks for the example and application. That study is a complete eye opener to me. So the chances of maintaining a 20% weight loss after 5 years is less than 5%. Its almost like impossible to maintain the weight lost I guess in the long term!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

It has been proven over and over that diets don't work long term. Long term weight loss requires a lifestyle change, food and exercise.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • France

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    No you need to look at the graph. It shows that around 65% of people maintained a weight loss of 5% or greater. The leaves 35% who did not.
    I am not a teacher.

No it doesn't. It shows (and says explicitly in the article) "that over 35% of people were successful at maintaining a weight loss of at least 5% for more than a year."