Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi there,

I personally think the word security would make more sense, as a general collocation, since it would suggest if there's any possibility of anyone else taking control of your card (having its PIN number, etc). But I think in some cases the word safety is used as well. Does this second usage change the meaning in any way?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes, it does change the meaning. If they made the cards too thin and sharp, they could cut people's fingers. That would be an issue of credit card safety. This example only seems silly if you have credit card security in mind as a context already and are asking whether "security" is a better word in the context of security.
What do you mean by a "general collocation"? Do you mean using "credit card security" for other things associated with credit cards apart from security?

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks dear Raymott. Not indeed. I think I saw 'safety' wrongly used in some contexts where, now I'm sure, the word 'security' was meant. Your example was pretty cool too! :))

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Note that saying "PIN number" is tautologous (even though you will hear it a lot). It stands for Personal Identification Number so if you add "number" to the end, you are saying "Personal Identification Number number".

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Note that saying "PIN number" is tautologous (even though you will hear it a lot). It stands for Personal Identification Number so if you add "number" to the end, you are saying "Personal Identification Number number".

Thanks a lot dear emsr2d2. Nice point!

Status
Not open for further replies.