• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

Arrow How to increase input knowledge for writing skill?

I have a another question as well.
    When my English teacher ask me to write an essay every night I have no idea even on my own native language so I obviously couldn't write essay on English because I have no information about topic for example: "What changes do you need to succeed in the near and distance future?"
    My teacher say me you should google different topic every topic for 6 months to improve your input to able to put your ideas on paper.
    Do you think it is a good idea?
    Do you have any suggestion to increase my inputs?

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: How to increase input knowledge for writing skill?

I have said many, many times that good writing is more about clear thinking than anything else. It's more important than good grammar and it's more important than good style.

If you cannot write on a simple topic in your native language, then you cannot write well on a topic in English either. What do you mean you have no information on what you need to succeed? Who else would know this except you? How do you define success? What keeps you from having that now? What should you do to get there? You must be able to write that in your own language. If you can do that in your own language, then you have the clear thinking necessary to write in any language. Then it just becomes a matter of grammar and style.

I do agree that writing a few sentences every day about some topic that interests you is a good idea. If you want to do that, you can post it here. Make sure you tell us that it's for your own practice and that it's not going to be graded by your teacher. (You know we can't help with homework, but we may forget that this is your purpose.)

Do not make the mistake of writing very long and complex sentences if you are not ready to do that. Just worry about geting the ideas down grammatically.
    We can work with style later.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.