Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Thank you in advance for any help

Dear Sir
I am writing to suggest and request a change regarding the way our night shift bonus is being paid to us. As you are probably aware, at the moment warehouse operatives working on 10 pm to 6 am shift receive a basic monthly salary of 1158.63£ £ and an additional fixed shift pay allowance of 116.17£.
I have certain reservations about the fact that the bonus for working on a night shift is being paid out as a set amount of money. In my view and other employees from night shift, it would be more reasonable and fairer if the shift pay, which represents roughly about 10 % of our basic salary, was proportionally added to our hourly rate. In this way, the pay for the overtime that we work would be affected by the bonus as well, which is not the case at the moment. I would like to point out the fact that there are employees, including myself, from the aforementioned shift, who regularly work numerous overtime hours, significantly contributing to the wellbeing and development of the company, however losing out on social and family life. A slight increase in pay resulting from incorporating the night shift bonus into the regular hourly rated, consequently affecting overtime hours that we work, even though insignificant, appears to be more rewarding and just.
I hope you will give my suggestion a positive consideration.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you in advance for any help

Dear Sir
I am writing to suggest and request a change regarding the way our night shift bonus is being paid to us. As you are probably aware, at the moment warehouse operatives working on 10 pm to 6 am shift receive a basic monthly salary of £1158.63[strike]£ £[/strike] and an additional fixed shift pay allowance of £116.17. [strike]£.[/strike]
I have certain reservations about the fact that the bonus for working [strike]on[/strike] a night shift is being paid out as a set amount of money. In my view and that of other employees from the night shift, it would be more reasonable and fairer if the shift pay, which represents roughly about 10% of our basic salary, was proportionally added to our hourly rate. In this way, the pay for the overtime that we work would be affected by the bonus as well, which is not the case at the moment. I would like to point out the fact that there are employees, including myself, from the aforementioned shift, who regularly work numerous overtime hours, significantly contributing to the wellbeing and development of the company, [strike]however[/strike] but losing out on social and family life. A slight increase in pay resulting from incorporating the night shift bonus into the regular hourly [strike]rated[/strike] rate, consequently affecting overtime hours that we work, even though insignificant, appears to be more rewarding and just.
I hope you will give my suggestion a positive consideration.

I have made just a couple of changes above in red. Generally, it was very good. I assume you know the warehouse manager's name. If so, I suggest using his name rather than "Dear Sir".

If you can arrange it, it might be an idea to get all the people on the night shift who support this request, to sign the letter personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.