Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi everyone !

I have a sentence: "Speaking and writing about common things are what I can do. But academic speaking and writing (to be) a different story."

I know that I should put ARE into the blank because of the S-V agreement in grammar books. But doesn't it sound awkward to you ? Because, to me, it does. I think "IS a different story" is more ok to me, but clearly that it will break the rule.

Please enlighten me on this matter. Is there only subject-verb agreement, or is there something else ? (like verb-object or subject-object agreement, logic ?)

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The whole thing is a mess. It doesn't make any sense. The second half (starting with "But") is totally ungrammatical. What are "common things"? What do you mean by "are what I can do"?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If you think of academic writing and speaking as a single unit, then the singular works fine.

There is the idea of proximity- we often choose the verb based on what it is next to rather than mathematical accuracy because it sounds better:
There's a dog and a cat fighting outside. (There are a dog... sounds odd to many speakers, so they use the singular even though there are two animals)

Creamcake

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
The whole thing is a mess. It doesn't make any sense. The second half (starting with "But") is totally ungrammatical. What are "common things"? What do you mean by "are what I can do"?

I thought that "about common things" is to modify the two subjects, which are "speaking and writing". That is why I used "are". But if you find it odd or ungrammatical, I think I will change to "Common speaking and writing are...". Maybe that will help :oops:

Creamcake

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
If you think of academic writing and speaking as a single unit, then the singular works fine.

There is the idea of proximity- we often choose the verb based on what it is next to rather than mathematical accuracy because it sounds better:
There's a dog and a cat fighting outside. (There are a dog... sounds odd to many speakers, so they use the singular even though there are two animals)

So, it depend on what I think of them. That means if I think of them as a single unit, I use the singular. But if I think of them as serveral ones, I should use the plural, right ?

Thank you :D

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
As long as there are reasons for thinking this way, yes.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
S​o what are "common speaking and writing"?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You can solve "Speaking and writing about common things are/is what I can do" by saying "What I can do is speak and write about common things. But academic speaking and writing are beyond me."

Status
Not open for further replies.