Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi guys,

What is the difference between "I made him do this" and "I made him to do this"?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Don't use the one with "to."

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Don't use the one with "to."
unless, for example, you made a scarecrow for the purpose of having him keep the birds away from your apple tree

Sometimes it's easy to forget what a diverse variety of correct sentences the English language can compose.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
...though it's kinder to tufguy to give him a simple response to the question he asked.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
...though it's kinder to tufguy to give him a simple response to the question he asked.

What he asked was "What is the difference between "I made him do this" and "I made him to do this"?" If you really think that Barb's answer is a good one, I have nothing more to say to you!

add: And it is not only the poster of the question that reads replies.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you really think that Barb's answer is a good one, I have nothing more to say to you!

2006, you have recently said things like "This is my last word" or "Can this be my last post in this thread?" and now "I have nothing more to say to you". You seem to think that once you have stated your opinion, that should be the end of the thread.

Whilst your interpretation and use of "I made him to do this" is possible, it is also a fairly unlikely usage and one which the OP is, at this stage of his/her English learning, unlikely to need or use.

Had I been the first person to reply to the question, my answer would have been very similar to Barb's. I would probably have written "The difference is that the first is correct and the second is not in this context". I might have then added "There is a context in which the version with "to" is possible but it's not necessary to go into that now".

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I read somewhere that "I made him do this" means there was no choice for him and "I made him to do this" means he did it with his consent.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I read somewhere that "I made him do this" means there was no choice for him and "I made him to do this" means he did it with his consent.

That is completely inaccurate.

I made him do the dishes before he could watch TV. = I required him to wash the dishes before he was allowed to watch TV.
I made him to do the dishes = I created him for the purpose of washing dishes. (I built this robot, who I think of as male, to wash the dishes.)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Could we calm things down a bit, please? Most of this thread is about the participants rather than the topic. Thanks

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
2006, you have recently said things like "This is my last word" I don't see that, nor do I remember writing it. or "Can this be my last post in this thread?" That's a question/wish. and now "I have nothing more to say to you". I believe that sentence began with 'If' and was addressed to one person. You seem to think that once you have stated your opinion, that should be the end of the thread. Don't be ridiculous! And your statements above are largely inaccurate.

Whilst your interpretation and use of "I made him to do this" is possible, it is also a fairly unlikely usage and one which the OP is, at this stage of his/her English learning, unlikely to need or use. He must have had a reason to ask the question. Again, the the actual question that the OP asked was what the difference in the two sentences was.

Had I been the first person to reply to the question, my answer would have been very similar to Barb's. Then you would have been similarly wrong. wrong probably have written "The difference is that the first is correct and the second is not in this context". That's a ridiculous comment. There was no context; there were just two grammatically correct sentences!
then added "There is a context in which the version with "to" is possible but it's not necessary to go into that now". Why not? That's not your decision to make. You could say that one sentence is much more likely, even though both are grammatically correct. And remember, the poster asked what the difference in the two sentences was. Barb's answer was wrong; don't try to defend it. You only lessen your credability. And other people read the responses too. So that is another reason to not guess what the OP wants or needs as an answer. Just answer the question first and elaborate further as you feel necessary.
a final suggestion: Your first obligation is not to support each other; it is to give your true opinions. Doing otherwise makes one look bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.