Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hello.
My name is Davide and this is my first post on the forum.
I am preparing for the IELTS test and need to improve my writing skills. Could you please help me by rating and/or reviewing the following essay?

TOPIC: Human beings do not need to eat meat in order to maintain good health because they can get all their food needs from meatless products and meatless substances. A vegetarian diet is as healthy as a diet containing meat. Argue for or against the opinion above.
(Minimum words number: 250)

As is common knowledge, vegetarians refuse to eat any kind of food containing meat. This choice is usually due to philosophical or even religious beliefs: vegetarians do not accept that an animal be killed to satisfy their hunger and, furthermore, are repelled by the way animals are raised in farms before being transformed into food. They claim that this cruelty is senseless, since every nutritional substance we need to survive can be safely got from meatless food. However, I firmly disagree with this statement.

It has no scientific support: to my knowledge, there are not any studies proving that human beings can do without meat. Until there is no evidence of the contrary, we are scientifically classified as omnivorous. Evolution has made our body capable of digesting both vegetable and animal food in order to better compete with other species for survival: therefore, a healthy diet needs to include both kinds of food.

There are some nutrients that are absorbed more easily, or even exclusively, from meat. Examples of these are proteins and the vitamin B12, the latter being present only in animal food. Since vegetarians are not able to assume these substances in sufficient amount, they are often suggested to integrate their diet with dietary supplements. This could be avoided with a complete diet containing meat.

In conclusion, it is true that such a diet is not necessarily healthier than a vegetarian one: an overuse of meat could cause diseases ranging from obesity to even cancer. However, a balanced diet, alternating animal to vegetable food in reasonable quantities, is certainly preferable to a pure vegetarian one.(267 words)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you want your essay to be factual, then you need to say that "vegetarians do not eat meat, fish, shellfish or animal by-products".

teor90

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thank you for such a quick feedback.
This is a mistake I should avoid. By "meat" I actually meant all these kinds of food, but it is not clear indeed.

Are there any other problems in the essay? Does it look like worthy of an acceptable mark?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I will try to have a look at the rest of your post later. For now, I can assure you that "meat" does not cover all those kinds of food. "Meat" is considered generally to be the flesh of a mammal, "poultry" is the flesh of a bird, "fish" is the flesh etc of a fish, and "seafood" covers things like squid, mussels, cockles, prawns etc. Vegetarians also do not eat gelatine or cochineal.

Status
Not open for further replies.