Dear friends, I am applying for a LLm and I would like your opinion about my Letter of motivation, specially regarding the English, since I am not a native English speaker. Could you see if the spelling and grammar is good? Thanks a lot in advance!

Letter of Motivation

Dear Sir,
In relation to the master program (...) that is offered by (...), I would like to apply to this master for the year 2014-2015 to for - in order to research about how shipping companies deal with problems and liabilities when transporting goods to different countries and how to define which law is applicable in each particular case – the local law or the international law. To understand how legal practitioners find solutions to cases where their own national law is not applicable or when different nationalities are involved in a maritime tragedy (as recently happened in the tragic sinking of the Italian ship Costa Concordia) are amongst my study interests.
After more than 7 years working as a lawyer in the public sector, I would like to have a shift in my career to work for the private sector, since I believe I will feel more challenged working for multinationals than in the public sphere. Commercial Law is an area that calls for my attention, especially because international agreements are usually necessary to solve conflicts between international shipping and maritime companies. My interest in international relations and the legal aspects of those - which started at my first internship in the Legal Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Brazil - draws my attention to the legal controversies among countries. From the moment I experienced cases of internal issues regarding the shipping company Det Norske Veritas - while being employed in 2006 at the Norwegian embassy in Brasilia - maritime law has been catching my interest.
Pointing to the country where I have my roots, in the recent years the Brazilian government has discovered the pre-salt oil layer and massive offshore discoveries have continuously taken place since 2007. The consequence of those findings is a higher demand for professionals specialized on Law of the Sea and maritime related issues. It would be of my interest to acquire knowledge about the international maritime and transport laws that are applied worldwide in cases where the maritime territory belongs to one country and litigation is started by foreign companies.
My legal career began with my nomination as a member of the Social Security’s Appeals Council in Brazil, which is a collegiate body within the structure of the Ministry of Social Security. The Council acts as an administrative tribunal with the purpose to solve disputes between citizens, companies and the National Institute of Social Security, and one of my duties as a counselor was to check if the companies and workers were paying their wages and income taxes regularly, making me deal with tax, labour and commercial law.
After having my specialization in public law in Brazil and studying Governance, Democratization and Public Policy in the International Institute of Social Studies (ISS), I could understand better how many laws are created in order to achieve public interest. The goals of a State intervene in private matters and ultimately can even collide with international compromises a country has undertaken. Crossing the bridge to the other side and being able to view from the private sector point of view is a new challenge I would like to face and I will start that by attending to the International Private Law summer course at The Hague Academy of International Law. Right after that my goal is to specialize and study further maritime law and cases of international transport, as well as offshore oil industry, and I am positive that at (...) I can have the best education in this area. Therefore, my aim with this master degree offered by (...) is to work in the near future as a maritime and transport lawyer or adviser for multinationals in Brazil or in the Netherlands and to participate on the decision-making processes for multinationals and organizations to tackle liability problems, using international comparative law and to understand which law is applicable in each situation.
In my perspective, this LL.M can offer me the tools to learn maritime and transport Law in a privileged location, since Rotterdam port is the biggest in Europe and great opportunities carriers could arise from this study. To study in such an international city would bringing a broad and global view of maritime disputes, which would be a differential for me in Brazil and could be in the future used in cases regarding not only the Rotterdam Port, but also the Port of Santos, which is the busiest container port in Latin America.
In addition, I am especially interested in working with Professor (...), for his expertise and practical experience being a lawyer in an office specialized in maritime and transport law as well for his remarkable publications in this realm, for instance “(...)”, which I had great pleasure reading. The fact that (...) University is located where the biggest port of Europe is and it is ranked highly in the fields of Law makes an obvious choice for me to choose this program in order to get a top LL.M degree.
Furthermore, I am convinced that the contact with excellent professors and researchers at (...) will make it possible for me to accomplish my studies amongst the best scholars in Europe and that my goal to obtain an outstanding career in maritime and transport law certainly be achieved by completing my LLM in a first line and renowned university.
I deeply hope you will give me the privilege of continuing my studies at your exceptional institution.