Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
The person shall perform its services as expeditiously as is consistent with such skill.

What is the subject of is; Is it the person?

Thank you.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The person shall perform its services as expeditiously as is consistent with such skill. A person is not an 'it'! You can say 'his or her' or you can say 'their'.

What is the subject of is; Is it the person? no "The person" is the subject of the sentence. "is" has no subject; it is part of the adverb clause.

Thank you.

cereal_chick

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
That sentence is incorrect. The closest correct form would be, "The person shall perform their services expeditiously, as is consistent with such skill." One could also say, "The person shall perform their services as expeditiously as would be expected from such skill" or something like that.

PS: The use of the word "person" is unnatural here; I can understand why you would use it here, but I would like to make sure that you know that one would say "he/she/they" or specify the person's name or role.

[Not a teacher]

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is not "person" that is wrong", it is "its" that is wrong. And I disagree that the original sentence is wrong.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
That sentence is incorrect. The closest correct form would be, "The person shall perform their services expeditiously, as is consistent with such skill." One could also say, "The person shall perform their services as expeditiously as would be expected from such skill" or something like that.

PS: The use of the word "person" is unnatural here; I can understand why you would use it here, but I would like to make sure that you know that one would say "he/she/they" or specify the person's name or role.

[Not a teacher]
I don't agree with all of your comments.
First you say that "person" is unnatural and then you say you can understand why it would be used. There could be a reason for using "person"; we don't know what came before that sentence. But "its" is definitely wrong.

Joea

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
Thank you, guys.
The sentence is correct 100% and I only switched the subject person from other professional name--if it helps clarify the use of its.
Then, who or what is consistent with the skill? Can you tell me more clearly than vaguely?

Thank you

lotus888

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps you can rephrase it as below:

Mr. X shall perform the services as expeditiously as required by the skills.

--lotus

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The sentence is correct 100% ...

Who told you that? (By the way, it should be "The sentence is 100% correct.")

Status
Not open for further replies.