[Vocabulary] How I say: SHOUT x SCREAM x YELL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceciliafontes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hi, everyone!

I'm writing a script, and i want to know if I use SHOUT, SCREAM or YELL in a few sentences.

1º) "JULIA: (aggressive) I'm not afraid of you, stupid! I know who you are! Where's my son? (shouts) TALK! I also know shout, you see?"

That's right? Or is "yell"?

2º) "...He is dead! Scared, Julia gives a huge shout".

3º) "She comes closer to the window to see better and is frightened (screams) by a black cat".

4º) "She screams begging for help".

5º) "JULIA: (yells) SHUT UP!"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm writing a script, and i want to know if I use SHOUT, SCREAM or YELL in a few sentences.

Look at the part I have marked in red. I don't think that is the question you want to ask us.

ceciliafontes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Look at the part I have marked in red. I don't think that is the question you want to ask us.

wonder > want to know.

I'm brazilian, and it's an idiomatic expression. I'm sorry! Now, please, answer my question.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That is not what I meant. You said "I want to know if I use". The answer is "Yes, you have used all of those words in your sentences". I think you meant "I want to know if/when I should use ...".

I am very confused by some of the lines in your script. For example, in #2, you have put "... He is dead!. Scared, Julia gives a huge shout." You have enclosed all of it in quotation marks. This means that the character who speaks those lines will say all of those words. Do you really want the character to say "Scared, Julia gives a huge shout" aloud?

ceciliafontes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
That is not what I meant. You said "I want to know if I use". The answer is "Yes, you have used all of those words in your sentences". I think you meant "I want to know if/when I should use ...".

I am very confused by some of the lines in your script. For example, in #2, you have put "... He is dead!. Scared, Julia gives a huge shout." You have enclosed all of it in quotation marks. This means that the character who speaks those lines will say all of those words. Do you really want the character to say "Scared, Julia gives a huge shout" aloud?

This is a description of the scene. Only the first and last sentences are spoken by the characters. Now, please, answer my question! I'll give u my heart.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is considerable overlap.

A "scream" is usually non-verbal. When you open the closet door and a dead body falls out, you scream. But you can also "scream" at someone when you are angry.

A "shout" is a raised voice. A "yell" even more so.

Two people arguing might get into a shouting match. If you fell down and broke your leg, you would yell for help. You might scream out in pain as well.

When you come home late, your wife might yell at you.

Anyway, my best response to your items:

1. The stage direction would be "shout" or "scream." I don't know what you mean by "I also know shout."

2. If she just makes a loud noise, but it's not words, then it's a scream.

3. Same. If no words, it's a scream.

4. Screams or yells.

5. Yells is fine.

ceciliafontes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
There is considerable overlap.

1. The stage direction would be "shout" or "scream." I don't know what you mean by "I also know shout."

Hi, friend!

In the first sentence, "(shouts)" before "TALK!" means that Julia spoke (loudly) the word "TALK". So... ..."JULIA: (aggressive) I'm not afraid of you, stupid! I know who you are! Where's my son? (shouts) TALK! I also know shout, you see?"

is correct?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yeah, I got that. What I don't understand is "I also know shout." I don't know why she would say that.

ceciliafontes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Yeah, I got that. What I don't understand is "I also know shout." I don't know why she would say that.

In the story, a crazy old man yelled at her. So, she says that she also knows shout (shout?). I want to know this...

And... Why in the last sentence you said that "Yells" is the correct and in the first sentence "shouts" is the correct? The meaning of the word in the first and last sentence is the same. The intent is to say that the word was spoken aloud.

What's the difference?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You mean something like "I also know how to shout!"

You can use "shout" or "yell" in your stage directions. Like I said, there is a lot of overlap.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You might benefit from reading a few articles on how to format scripts.
I found this one.

I also saw this: "Directors and actors can get offended by these directions. They think it's their job to figure out how lines are delivered. So use them only when the dialogue needs to be spoken in a way that's not made clear by the action or the dialogue itself." (https://www.finaldraft.com/learn/articles/how-to-format-a-screenplay)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There is no need to write a new post to say Thank you. Simply click the Thank button on any posts you find helpful. It means that we don't have to open the thread again to read your new post and then find that it doesn't include any new information or an additional question. It saves everybody's time.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Don't call strangers "Sweetie."

Status