[Vocabulary] We gave up her daytime nap a long time ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
Hello,
What is the meaning of "following sentence"?
Mother:Yes, she (her child) does have trouble sleeping.We gave up her daytime nap a long time ago!

That means: she used to have a daytime nap. Now she does not have the trouble any more?
but why her mother said she has trouble sleeping.?
Thanks.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What is the source of your quotation?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Seemingly, the child does not sleep easily. Most children have a nap in the afternoons. However, this child does not fall asleep easily so the mother has given up trying to get her to have a short sleep in the afternoons.

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
Seemingly, the child does not sleep easily. Most children have a nap in the afternoons. However, this child does not fall asleep easily so the mother has given up trying to get her to have a short sleep in the afternoons.

Did you mean her mother prevent her child from having nap during afternoon?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. That's not what I said. The child does not sleep well. I am sure the mother would be very happy if the child fell asleep in the afternoons. However, I would assume that the mother/parents used to try to encourage the child to sleep in the afternoons but the child didn't sleep, so the parents have now simply stopped trying. That's not the same as prevention.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Did you mean her mother prevent her child from having nap during afternoon?

Why would that be in the parents' interests?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Why would that be in the parents' interests?
Because by depriving her of a daytime nap, she will more tired at night time, and will sleep better then. I think the original is open to that interpretation. I have to say that I find it difficult to be sure what it means.

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
No. That's not what I said. The child does not sleep well. I am sure the mother would be very happy if the child fell asleep in the afternoons. However, I would assume that the mother/parents used to try to encourage the child to sleep in the afternoons but the child didn't sleep, so the parents have now simply stopped trying. That's not the same as prevention.

Thanks a lot
But I think because If the baby fall sleep during afternoon then the baby might be awake during the night and her/his parents have to stay up during the night . So they don't like the baby fall sleep during afternoon.
The full sentence is :
Mother:We gave up her daytime nap a long time ago!
Director:That's good to know.I'll make a note of that.she can just have some quite time while the others are resting if she like !

and you said:
the mother has given up trying to get her to have a short sleep in the afternoons.

I am really confused.

Last edited:

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
Because by depriving her of a daytime nap, she will more tired at night time, and will sleep better then. I think the original is open to that interpretation. I have to say that I find it difficult to be sure what it means.
I have the same idea as you said by depriving her of a daytime nap, she will more tired at night time and actually her mother said:she does have trouble sleeping.That means she still have the problem

lotus888

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We gave up on her daytime napping a long time ago.

--lotus

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
We gave up on her daytime napping a long time ago.

--lotus

So you meant her parents do not want their baby to fall sleep during afternoon? Am I right?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Most parents want their baby to have a short sleep (a nap) during the afternoon. In fact, most babies easily nap mid-morning and mid-afternoon as well as sleeping at night. However, this baby does not sleep well. As we have established, it is not completely clear from the piece whether the parents have given up trying to get the baby to sleep in the afternoon because the baby simply doesn't fall asleep or if they now prevent her from sleeping in the afternoon in order to ensure that she is very tired at night and will sleep.

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
Most parents want their baby to have a short sleep (a nap) during the afternoon. In fact, most babies easily nap mid-morning and mid-afternoon as well as sleeping at night. However, this baby does not sleep well. As we have established, it is not completely clear from the piece whether the parents have given up trying to get the baby to sleep in the afternoon because the baby simply doesn't fall asleep or if they now prevent her from sleeping in the afternoon in order to ensure that she is very tired at night and will sleep.

Thanks a lot.Sorry if I asked lots of questions.On the previous post I put the full sentence here:
Director:That's good to know.I'll make a note of that.she can just have some quite time while the others are resting if she like !

Do you think it is still vague ?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks a lot. Sorry if I asked lots of questions. On the previous post I put the full sentence here:

Director:That's good to know. I'll make a note of that. She can just have some [strike]quite[/strike] quiet time while the others are resting if she likes!

Do you think it is still vague?

It doesn't really help. It only means that the child does not have an afternoon nap. Whether that is because the parents have given up trying to get the child to sleep in the afternoons because it's pointless or because they don't want her to sleep so she is more tired in the evening is still not stated. The director has simply noted that while the other children are sleeping, this child will be doing something else.

Please look at my corrections in red, particularly with regard to spacing around punctuation. Remember these rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with a single, appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I" and all proper nouns.
- Do not put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.

lotus888

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks a lot.Sorry if I asked lots of questions.On the previous post I put the full sentence here:

Do you think it is still vague ?

From the context, the mother stopped giving her daytime naps a long time ago.

--lotus

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
From the context, the mother stopped giving her daytime naps a long time ago.

--lotus

That is not in dispute. It is whether or not the mother stopped those naps in order to make the child more tired at night or because she was fed up with the child not sleeping during the afternoons.

Status
Not open for further replies.