Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hobby means "shumi" in Japanese. The problem is that "shumi" seems to have a wider meaning than "hobby" does, and I don't know how wide it is. In order for me to properly use an English word "hobby," I have to know what it is exactly. For example, sleeping a lot on Sundays is a "shumi." Waching baseball games on TV is also a "shumi." They are all "an activity pursued in spare time for pleasure or relaxation," but do you call them "hobbies"? I undestand that playing sports, reading books, going fishing, and watching movies can be hobbies. Some may disagree with this?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
'Hobby' has a more restricted meaning than 'shumi', from what you've said. Sleeping doesn't count. A hobby is something that you have invested a lot of time, energy, and interest in. Watching movies, if you become knowledgable about film genres, etc. could be a hobby, but watching TV because you are too lazy to do anything else would probably not be called a hobby by most people.
Reading and fishing are certainly hobbies. Sports could be hobbies, but often they are classed separately, for example, you might ask a person, "Do you have any favourite sports or hobbies?"
I'm sure other people would have a different idea about how to classify some of these activities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
And watching baseball on TV could be seen as a hobby.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Some activities can be hobbies for some people and occupations for others. A person can knit for fun and relaxation. Another person can make knitted products for sale.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would like to consider sleep a recreational activity. Sadly, I don't get to practice it as much as I'd like.

Status
Not open for further replies.