• Home Country:
      • Syria
      • Current Location:
      • Syria

Articles

Dear Teacher,

I am not sure whether or not to use the article in sentences like these:

(1) "(The) Fa soap is refreshing."
    Fa is a trademark (proper noun) and soap is an uncountable noun.

(2) Cocacola drinks are delicious.
    Cocacola is trademark/company name and drinks is a plural countable noun. Ithink an article is not neeeded here???

(3) (The) Jar cream is 100% biological.
    Jar is a trademark and cream can be countable and uncountable. I am not surewhether I can say "the Jar cream..."

(4) The/a Jar product is rich in vitamins.
    Jar is a trademark and product is a singular countable noun. I am not surewhether articles may be used.

I usually hear: The Bush (proper noun) administration (the is used); New York(proper noun) city; Yorkshire (proper noun) district (no article).

I know that I cannot say "Antoine book" or "The Antoinebook"; it must be Antoine's book or the book of Antoine.

Please help me with your expertise and provide some links.

Thanks & best regards,
    Antoine Ghannoum

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Toedrika View Post
    Dear Teacher,

I am not sure whether or not to use the article in sentences like these:

(1) "(The) Fa soap is refreshing."
    Fa is a trademark (proper noun) and soap is an uncountable noun.

(2) Coca-Cola drinks are delicious.
    Coca-Cola is trademark/company name and drinks is a plural countable noun. I think an article is not needed here??? * +

(3) (The) Jar cream is 100% biological.
    Jar is a trademark and cream can be countable and uncountable. I am not sure whether I can say "the Jar cream..." *

(4) The/a Jar product is rich in vitamins.
    Jar is a trademark and product is a singular countable noun. I am not sure whether articles may be used. *

I usually hear: The Bush (proper noun) administration (the is used); New York (proper noun) city; Yorkshire (proper noun) district (no article). ++ *

I know that I cannot say "Antoine book" or "The Antoine book"*; it must be Antoine's book or the book of Antoine.

Please help me with your expertise and provide some links.

Thanks & best regards,
    Antoine Ghannoum
    * SPACES! They are not optional between certain words; all separate words must be divided by a space!
    + Except for comic effect or informal emphasis, one never uses more than one exclamation/question mark at the end of a sentence.
    ++ "Yorkshire district" does not make any sense: "[place] district" is (to me at least) used only informally when not qualified with "in [other place]" at the end. One would say "the district of Yorkshire." However, to digress from grammar, there is no such thing as the district of Yorkshire. Yorkshire is a county in England, and while there is a district called "York" there are none called "Yorkshire".

1 to 4 could go either way with their articles.
    1) The soap would refer to a specific instance of the soap being discussed, whereas without the article it would refer to the soap brand in general. The same goes for 3.
    2) To refer to Coca-Cola drinks in general, indeed you would not use any article.
    4) Using "the" would again refer to a specific instance of a specific product in the Jar brand, but "a" would refer generally to any product in the Jar brand.

For the last examples, the is used for the Bush administration because a specific thing is being referred to there was only one (or two depending on how you look at it). "Bush administration" is not a class of objects (thank God). "New York City" as a whole is a proper noun, and so there is no article ("City", whilst an optional part of the name, should still be capitalised). Your examples with the book are correct, but the former is by far the more natural. I hope I have helped you.

[Not a teacher]

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

1. If "Fa" is the name of the saop, I would not use an article.
    2. "Coca Cola" is a trade name and it does not take a hyphen. It does not need an article.
    3. If "Jar" is the name of the product, it does not need an article.
    4. This depends on whether "Jar" has more than one product, one that contains vitamins and others that do not.

In "Bush" administration, "Bush" is an adjective. So an article is used.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Quote Originally Posted by Toedrika View Post

I usually hear: The Bush (proper noun) administration (the is used); New York(proper noun) city; Yorkshire (proper noun) district (no article).
    Apart from MikeNewYork's point about the function of Bush in that case, you can't extrapolate rules from a word being a proper noun. For instance, Yorkshire is a county and British counties don't take an article, but we do say the Algarve for the Portuguese region. You should start with what the proper noun represents (country/stated/river, etc), but also be prepared for this not to be a rule that covers 100% of cases.