• Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Are the expressions used properly?

*** This is not an assignment***

Hi dear all,

I'm providing some paragraphs for the purpose of teaching idioms. It is a part of research for M.A. thesis. Since a given number of formulaic expressions are going to be taught in conversations ,as input, finding appropriate paragraphs that include all those idioms or expressions is kind of impossible, then I have to prepare them myself. Such paragraphs are about to be used as comprehension checkers. I wonder if I could have the honor of getting some help to know how natural they are. I'm looking forward to seeing any recommendation about some more interesting alternations.

Thanks in advance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Re: Are the expressions used properly?

I am really busy with my job here. At times, I get bored with all the responsbilities and think about getting back to my hometown. Now I miss my parents a lot and can only call them for the time being. Although I call them from time to time, I don't like this way because I am pressed for time here and can't talk on the phone freely. When I am homesick I like to talk more, but as soon as I start talking with my sister and brother time is up . Sometimes my siblings come to see me and I wish they would do that time after time.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Are the expressions used properly?

Quote Originally Posted by faryan View Post
    I am really busy with my job here. At times, I get bored with all the responsbilities and think about getting back to my hometown. Now I miss my parents a lot and, for the time being, can only phone them . Although I call them from time to time, I don't like this way because I am pressed for time here and can't talk on the phone freely. When I am homesick I like to talk more, but as soon as I start talking with my sister and brother, time is up . Sometimes my siblings come to see me and I wish they would do that time after time.
    "for the time being" sounds better there. I'd use 'phone' on the first mention - once you've clarified what type calling you mean, 'call' is OK.
    I don't like "time after time". In fact if they do visit 'sometimes', then they are calling 'time after time'. You could say, "Once my sister visited me, but I wish she could do it time after time."