• Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Are these natural?

*** This is not an assignment***

Hi dear all,

I'm providing some paragraphs for the purpose of teaching idioms. It is a part of research for M.A. thesis. Since a given number of formulaic expressions are going to be taught in conversations ,as input, finding appropriate paragraphs that include all those idioms or expressions is kind of impossible, then I have to prepare them myself. Such paragraphs are about to be used as comprehension checkers. I wonder if I could have the honor of getting some help to know how natural they are. I'm looking forward to seeing any recommendation about some more interesting alternations.

Thanks in advance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Re: Are these natural?

We started as two hired engineers in a construction company; actually we were rivals here. Since we worked together in the same office, we were on good terms with each other. Time went by and we both were employed here. Then we found out that we are so like minded because we saw eye to eye when we were needed to make important decisions. At times, we had to give it straight to one another because both of us believed that criticisim can be constructive. Actually, we were so respectful towards each other. We were careful not to bite each other's head off. Whenever we had common ideas about something, we sided with each other and we supported one other mentally. That was why our employers trusted us and gave us free hands to do such great construction projects. Although we are not still working together, we are good friends.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

gave us free hands
    This should be singular. The use of the phrases is otherwise OK but there are mistakes in the text.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

You overuse/misue the word "actually". I noticed it in a previous thread you posted but I have a feeling I failed to comment on it there. Consider that it means "Contrary to something I previously said" or similar.

A: Were you a teacher when you worked in Spain?
    B: No, I was an engineer actually.

A: You're vegetarian, aren't you?
    B: Actually, I'm vegan.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    This should be singular. The use of the phrases is otherwise OK but there are mistakes in the text.
    What bout this one?

Working in a construction company, we started as hired engineers. Since we worked together in the same office, we were on good terms with each other. Time went by and we both were employed there. We made friends and found out that we were so like-minded because we saw eye to eye when we needed to make important decisions. Since we believed that criticisim can be constructive, at times we gave it straight to one another. We were so respectful towards each other and never bit each other's head off. Whenever we had the same idea about something, we sided with each other and tried to support each other mentally. They were the reasons of our sucess and why our employers gave us a free hand to do such great construction projects. Although we are not still working together, we are good friends.