Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Born in London on April 3, 1934, world-renowned primatologist Jane Goodall got an early start on animal study, spending much of her childhood observing animals that lived right in the backyard of her house. Later, Kipling’s ‘Jungle book’ and the Tarzan stories fascinated her as well, and those, coupled with her love for animals, led her to plan, a life in the African jungle. When she finally ventured into Africa at the age of 23, Goodall was fulfilling her childhood dream.
Goodall worked as a secretary for a year in Kenya until, having learned that anthropologist Louis Leakey was doing research in Zaire, she made a trip to meet him. Leakey had been searching for someone to carry out a field study on chimpanzees at the Gombe National Reserve in Tanzania and decided Godall would be ideal for the project because her lack of formal training would prevent prior knowledge from interfering with her observations and conclusions. Leakey told her the research might take ten years; she thought it might take just three. They were both mistaken. Goodall has been researching chimps at Gombe for over 40 years now.
Progress in the first months at Gombe was slow and discouraging, as the chimps would not Goodall approach. Complicating matters, Goodall spent weeks in bed, sick with malaria. But one day Goodall observed a chimp in the camp looking at a banana on the table inside a tent. This was Goodall’s first chance to get close to a chimp, and from that day on, bananas were always kept nearby for any curious visitors. Patience enabled Goodall to win the chimps’ trust and gradually make friends with them.
In a lifetime of study, Goodall has discovered many interesting and formerly unknown similarities between chimps and humans. Among those discoveries: chimps are not herbivorous- they also eat meat, just like human; chimps make and use tools; they adopt orphan infants; they know and use medicinal plants (by chewing).
Today Goodall divides her time between traveling and lecturing about her findings at Gombe and running the Gombe Stream Research Center, where she has been the director since 1967. She has also established a home for injured or orphaned chimps and created a program for schoolchildren to learn about wild animals and conservation of the environment.

It can be inferred from the passage that after her trip to Zaire, Goodall …… .

1. continued to be supported by Louis Leakey
2. became a researcher at a wildlife reserve in Africa
3. started to learn scientific methods of observing wild animals
4. unsuccessfully tried to study chimps’ behavior at Gombe

I'm stuck between #2 and 3.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Give us your thinking behind both #2 and #3.

By the way, I'm pretty sure Jane Goodall hasn't been studying chimps for 400 years!

Freeguy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Do you mean #2 and 3 are all wrong?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Where did I say that? I want you to tell us what parts of the piece lead you to think that either 2 or 3 is the correct answer.

Freeguy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Options 1 and 4 are out. Both option 2 and 3 have been mentioned implicitly in the passage. That's why I'm in a quandary.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is nothing in the passage to suggest that she learned a scientific method. She was an observer. I would go with 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.