1. B45

Do you say: I want a hotdog without buns. VS I want a hotdog without the buns.

Do you say: I want a hotdog without buns. VS I want a hotdog without the buns.

Are both okay?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Re: Do you say: I want a hotdog without buns. VS I want a hotdog without the buns.

I guess the hot-dog/bun ratio is 1/1, so it should be "bun", not "buns".
    Please be aware that I'm neither a native English speaker nor a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Do you say: I want a hotdog without buns. VS I want a hotdog without the buns.

It should certainly be in the singular and it would work perfectly well with the definite or indefinite article.

I would like a hot dog without a bun.
    I would like a hot dog without the bun.

One hot dog please. No bun.

Technically, however, it's only a hot dog if it's a steamed sausage in a bun. Without the bun, you just want a sausage (or a frankfurter, in BrE).
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Bun or not, it is still a "hot dog" in the US. We buy packs of "hot dogs". We use "'frankfurter" or "franks" sometimes, but "sausage" means something different.

5. B45

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    Bun or not, it is still a "hot dog" in the US. We buy packs of "hot dogs". We use "'frankfurter" or "franks" sometimes, but "sausage" means something different.
    What if I change hotdog to hamburger?

One hamburger without the buns. I want it protein style. Can I omit the 'the'?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

It would still be "a bun" or "the" bun". The word "bun" means both top and bottom.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

You have a burger "in a bun". It is one single hamburger bun which has been sliced in half. That doesn't make it "buns". I don't know about AmE, but in BrE "protein-style" means nothing. I understand what you mean - you want the protein of the meat in the hamburger without the carbs of the bun, but we don't use that phrase here.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.