I ordered an omelet for take out. Or I ordered an omelet to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

Can you say when you get to the diner:

I ordered an omelet for take out. Or I ordered an omelet to go.

Are both okay?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"I ordered a omelet to take away" - that's what we say in Aus. Maybe "to take out", not 'for'. Rarely "to go" unless it's a US franchise.

B

B45

"I ordered a omelet to take away" - that's what we say in Aus. Maybe "to take out", not 'for'. Rarely "to go" unless it's a US franchise.

Really? I thought I ordered an omelet for take out should be okay. Had no idea it was wrong!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Really? I thought I ordered an omelet for take out should be okay. Had no idea it was wrong!
Well, you live and learn! ;-)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

That, or "I ordered a takeaway omelet", would be the most common in the UK, too.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's not a regularly ordered takeaway food, to be honest. We tend to order pizzas, curries, Chinese/Thai food and burgers and fries to take away. If I were eating at my work canteen, I suppose I might order an omelette for breakfast but ask for it in a takeaway box so that I could eat it at work.

- I've ordered a takeaway.
- Ooh, what are you getting?
- Indian.

- Shall we have a takeaway tonight?
- Yup. Great idea. What do you fancy?
- Pizza or Chinese. Your choice.

- Hi. Can I order a large Pizza Vegetariana and a portion of garlic bread?
- Is that for collection or delivery?
- Oh delivery please. I haven't collected a takeaway for years!

B

B45

It's not a regularly ordered takeaway food, to be honest. We tend to order pizzas, curries, Chinese/Thai food and burgers and fries to take away. If I were eating at my work canteen, I suppose I might order an omelette for breakfast but ask for it in a takeaway box so that I could eat it at work.

- I've ordered a takeaway.
- Ooh, what are you getting?
- Indian.

- Shall we have a takeaway tonight?
- Yup. Great idea. What do you fancy?
- Pizza or Chinese. Your choice.

- Hi. Can I order a large Pizza Vegetariana and a portion of garlic bread?
- Is that for collection or delivery?
- Oh delivery please. I haven't collected a takeaway for years!

Thanks for the input! But I swear to God, I've heard the preposition for used in a situation like this. It goes something like:

Is this for here or take out?

It's for take out.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Is this for here or [to] take out?"
OK, you heard it. Where was it heard? Were they native speakers? What level of education did they have?
Seriously, you really will hear lots of incorrect English. I don't think it will ever be escaped now that English is a lingua franca. One day there will be more bad English spoken than proper English - if that is not already the case.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

It is not wrong in AmE. We order food "for takeout" or "to go". We also order food for delivery.

B

B45

It is not wrong in AmE. We order food "for takeout" or "to go". We also order food for delivery.

I was really confused, because I've heard it said many times in the US by native English speakers... Even on TV.

I'm surprised by how there are these differences in US English and UK English. This is quite a shock, really... Wow!

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have learned an incredible number of small differences between the two varieties of English here. That is a major reason that I hang out here.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say I ordered it "to go."

When ordering at a fast food place, the usual question is if it is "for here or to go?"

When ordering on the phone, it is "pick up or delivery?"

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I have learned an incredible number of small differences between the two varieties of English here. That is a major reason that I hang out here.

Me too- I used to have lists of vocabulary differences to teach from like tap/faucet, then daily internet contact made me aware of the many small differences, but they are mostly small- few impede comprehension. However, like many people on language forums, I tend to hedge and say I wouldn't say something where once I might have said it was wrong, in case someone pops up from another variant and says something is OK where they live.

Status
Not open for further replies.