Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Anonymous
    Guest
    #1

    simple present and present continuous

    i want some questions and answer about simple present and present continuous to teach my kid.

    please send me details about how simple present and present continuous forming.


    thanks


    ra

  2. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 59,808
    #2

  3. #3

    More on present simple, present continuous

    I think one important point is that with the present simple, the speaker sees the event as a permanent event. For example, when I was 12, I told a girl, I love you, not, I am loving you, because AT THAT MOMENT I thought it would last forever - even though it only lasted three days.
    On the other hand, At the age of 18, I started looking for a wife. I'm 41 now and I'm still looking. I see this as a TEMPORARY event, as when I find HER, I'll stop looking - so I use the present contonuous - despite the fact that the event has been going on for 26 years!
    Interesting, isn't it?

  4. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,982
    #4

    Re: More on present simple, present continuous

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Taylor
    I think one important point is that with the present simple, the speaker sees the event as a permanent event. For example, when I was 12, I told a girl, I love you, not, I am loving you, because AT THAT MOMENT I thought it would last forever - even though it only lasted three days.
    On the other hand, At the age of 18, I started looking for a wife. I'm 41 now and I'm still looking. I see this as a TEMPORARY event, as when I find HER, I'll stop looking - so I use the present contonuous - despite the fact that the event has been going on for 26 years!
    Interesting, isn't it?
    I really don't agree with your statement that present simple = permanent event. We use present simple in different situations.

    I drive to work. (describes a habit)
    I like pizza. (my feeling at the moment)
    I leave for Europe tomorrow. (a future scheduled event)
    I sentence you to ten years in jail. (a pronouncement)

  5. #5
    Point taken, Mike. I was just concentrating on one aspect of the ps/pc conundrum.
    Jeremy

  6. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,982
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Taylor
    Point taken, Mike. I was just concentrating on one aspect of the ps/pc conundrum.
    Jeremy
    No problem. :wink:

  7. #7

    Re: More on present simple, present continuous

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Taylor
    I think one important point is that with the present simple, the speaker sees the event as a permanent event. For example, when I was 12, I told a girl, I love you, not, I am loving you, because AT THAT MOMENT I thought it would last forever - even though it only lasted three days.
    On the other hand, At the age of 18, I started looking for a wife. I'm 41 now and I'm still looking. I see this as a TEMPORARY event, as when I find HER, I'll stop looking - so I use the present contonuous - despite the fact that the event has been going on for 26 years!
    Interesting, isn't it?
    I really don't agree with your statement that present simple = permanent event. We use present simple in different situations.

    I drive to work. (describes a habit)
    I like pizza. (my feeling at the moment)
    I leave for Europe tomorrow. (a future scheduled event)
    I sentence you to ten years in jail. (a pronouncement)
    mistakie...


    • Join Date: Jul 2005
    • Posts: 4
    #8

    Re: More on present simple, present continuous

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    I really don't agree with your statement that present simple = permanent event. We use present simple in different situations.

    I drive to work. (describes a habit)
    I like pizza. (my feeling at the moment)
    I leave for Europe tomorrow. (a future scheduled event)
    I sentence you to ten years in jail. (a pronouncement)

    I don't quite agree with your last two sentences. I could just as well say "I'm leaving for Europe tomorrow" as what you have, without altering the meaning. Likewise, a judge could just as well say "I'm sentencing you to ten years in jail." (I would allow that the use of simple present in that context has a loftier tone, but the meaning is the same.)

Similar Threads

  1. simple present or present simple?
    By charlotte in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17-Dec-2003, 12:31
  2. The Hidden Evidence: The Past Family
    By shun in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 09-Nov-2003, 01:56
  3. simple present and present simple continuous
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Dec-2002, 20:29

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •