I should've never let this happen to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

emp0608

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi folks,

Grammatically speaking, I think we should say, "I should never have let this happen to you", but would you condone in a casual speech "I should've never let this happen to you"? It's a lot easier to say.

Thanks.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

I'd condone it, but I wouldn't say it and I don't think it's easier to say either.

The "I should've..." at the beginning is the sort of thing that leads to, "I should've never've let this happen to you", and then where would we be?

emp0608

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thanks Roman55 for your prompt reply. Would you like to comment on the following Google results: "I should never have let this happen to you."
– 8; "I should've never let this happen to you." – 1070? And for me, "have let this" is a bit of a tongue twister.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi folks,

Grammatically speaking, I think we should say, "I should never have let this happen to you", but would you condone in a casual speech "I should've never let this happen to you"? It's a lot easier to say.

Thanks.
As you know, the first version is formally preferable. As you also know, the second version is common. You may find it easier to get your mouth round the preferable version if you drop the h (as native speakers often do). But if you do this, don't let this habit affect your writing - 'never of' is just wrong.

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In spoken, casual English you'll hear "I should've never let this happen", "I never should've let this happen" and even "I shouldn't've ever let this happen"! I would accept any of them in a casual informal situation. In a formal situation or an exam, I would use "I should never/not have let this happen". There is nothing tonguetwister-like about "have let this". Would you have the same problem with "We have let this go on far too long"? Is it just the combination of a word starting with "L" followed by a word starting with "TH"?

Status
Not open for further replies.