Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Kosovo
Current Location
Netherlands
Hello everybody,

right now i'm reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and so far i'm really enjoying it. I sometimes come across a sentence i just can't figure out. I hope you guys could help me out.

1. ''I was easily led by the sympathy which he evinced to use the language of my heart, to give utterance to the burning ardour of my soul , and to say, with al the fervour that warmed me, how gladly I would sacrifice my own fortune, my existence, my every hope, to the furtherance of my enterprize.

It's the text in bold and italic, i just added the rest of the sentence to give context.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"I was easily led to speak from my heart, ie. (honestly, deeply-felt)." "to give utterance to the burning ardour of my soul" means basically the same as "speaking from the heat of passion of my heart/soul". "with all the fervour that warmed me" basically repeats this another time.
All these feelings in his heart/soul, ie. the sympathy, were evinced by the subject (?the monster. I don't remember who the 'he' is your first sentence was.)
"He evinced certain feelings in my heart and soul that led me to say ..."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please read and learn the rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentnece with a single, appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I" (first person singular).
- Capitalise all proper nouns (English, Mary Shelley, Hindi, Shakespeare etc).
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

Now click on Edit Post and make the relevant corrections to your post, and click Save.

ramadanhasani

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Kosovo
Current Location
Netherlands
The 'he' in the post in this case is this Dr. Frankenstein. Thank you by the way for your comprehensive explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.