Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hello guys,

I met a couple tonight and one of them said to me: you are beyond my expectations. Then I replied: is that positive? He said it was very positive. Can anyone explain to me the exact meaning of that expression? I am quite close to his girlfriend, but I met her boyfriend for the very first time tonight, did he mean that he had heard a lot about me and his opinion about me is good?

Thank you for your help! I am not an English native speaker, so I have no idea what he really means...

Last edited:

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

Although it's not entirely clear from your information, I would assume that he had heard good things about you, perhaps from his girlfriend. When he met you he was even more impressed than he had expected to be. So yes, his opinion about you is good.

I feel that a more common form is, "You have exceeded my expectations".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
How close is the couple? I think the guy likes you.

Vandina

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
You are absolutely right, my explanation was not good at all... I wrote that question as soon as I got home, I did not want to forget that expression, which was new to me! Is it possible that he was also referring to my knowledge of the English language? I am wondering because he said more than once that we were having a normal conversation, without slowing it down to make me understand (as he would normally do with his Italian friends). Would you please give me an example of how you would personally use those expression (you exceed/ go beyond my expectations)? THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Vandina

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
They are very close... I might have impressed him in a good way, if that expression IS positive!!! ;- )

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes, it is certainly positive. He could be talking about your spoken English. You are in a better position to know what kind of expectations he had of you. Why not ask your friend what he meant?

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Status
Not open for further replies.