[Grammar] out/ outside- in/ inside- outdoors/ indoors and the word home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crowned 91

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi! Is the use of out/ outside/ in/ inside/ outdoors/ indoors OK in the following situations?

1)-John is in the garden. (He is outside.)
-Joe is in the house (or inside the house)
-John asks Joe to join him: Why don't you come outside? It's a lovely day!

2) -John and Joe are both inside. John wants to play in the garden, so he tells Joe: "Let's go outside!"
-Joe replies: "It's very cold outside!"

3)-John and Joe are playing outside. Joe says:"It's getting cold!Let's go back in (or inside)."

4)-John wants to go to the local pub.He asks Joe: "How about going out tonight?"
-Joe replies:"Where would you like to go?"
-John answers: "To the local pub".
-Joe:"I don't feel like going out tonight. I'd rather stay in.

5)-John is not at home.He has gone to the cinema.
-When he returns home,Joe asks him: "Where have you been?"
-John vaguely answers: "Out"

Apparently, John enjoys staying/ going outdoors, whereas Joe likes staying/ going indoors.;-)About the word home:
go/come/return/leave/ arrive/ get home (without to), but can I say both"be/ stay at home" and "be/ stay home"?
Moreover, is it possible to say : "Come to my home","Come to my place", "Come to mine" and "I'm staying at John's (place/ home) tonight" and "You can stay at mine if you want."?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
They are all OK.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is the preposition at optional?

In my variant, yes and no (sorry!)

If someone phones and asks for my flatmate and my flatmate is out, then I might well say "He's not home". This means the same as "He's not here".
If my mother wants to know if I have safely reached my house after visiting her for the day, she might text me "Are you home yet?" I would answer either "Yes, I'm home" or "No, I'm not home yet. I'm stuck in a traffic jam". Here "Are you home?" and "I'm not home" both refer to "reaching my home from another place".
If someone simply says "Is John at home with his wife and kids?", the answer would be either "Yes, he's at home" or "No, he's not at home". In that instance, I don't consider that the "at" can be omitted.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Moreover, is it possible to say : "Come to my home","Come to my place", "Come to mine" and "I'm staying at John's (place/ home) tonight" and "You can stay at mine if you want."?
You can say "I'm staying at John's tonight" without a previous mention of his place/home. You can't say, without prior context, "John is staying at mine tonight" or "Why not come to mine?"

Status
Not open for further replies.