Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Costa Rica
Current Location
Costa Rica
i have a doubts about adverbs in some structures like this one...
it is ok to say:
!! it's always going to fail something.!!

can i use frequency adverbs with future- going to ?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
That sentence doesn't work, but that doesn't mean that frequency adverbs cannot be used about the future with going to.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have some doubts about adverbs in some structures like this one.
[strike]it is[/strike] Is it [strike]ok[/strike] OK to say: ​"[STRIKE]!![/STRIKE] It's always going to fail something!"?

Can I use frequency adverbs with the future - going to?

Please see my corrections to your post above in red. It is important to follow the rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with a single, appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I" (first person singular).
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

Note that we write either "OK" or "okay" but not "ok".

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Before we answer any more of your questions, please correct the information in your profile.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Costa Rica
Current Location
Costa Rica
Another question...
What type of sentece(grammar) is...
I felt tired?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's a simple sentence.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Costa Rica
Current Location
Costa Rica
It's a simple sentence.

But what kind of specific sentence, I mean: progressive, perfect, both, and its structure would be then?
subject + simple past + particip; exemp:
He was felt tired
He was born

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Willingtolearn:

I believe that this analysis is correct:

I = pronoun = the subject of the sentence.

felt = the past tense of the verb "to feel."

a) In this sentence, "felt" is considered a linking verb. That is, its job is to connect "I" and "tired." It also shows you the tense (past). In some languages, one may simply say "I tired." NOT in English.

b) Compare: "I felt the sweater very carefully." This time, "felt" is a full verb. It shows action.

tired = adjective. It is the subjective complement. That is, it "completes" the meaning of the subject. If you said only, "I felt," your listener would ask, "Excuse me. You felt what?"

James

May I call your attention to a forum at this website called "Diagramming"? You can post a sentence there, and someone will parse (analyze) every word in the sentence.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
James, it would be more helpful to provide an actual link.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The Parser is (I'm sure he won't mind me saying) not exactly tech-oriented and I don't think he has ever posted a link. On his behalf, here is the link to the "Analysing and Diagramming" section of the forum.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is very simple to post a link.
Put your cursor in the address line.
Press Control and A at the same time to select all the text.
Press Control and C at the same time to copy that text of the address.
Go to where you want to post the link.
Press Control and V at the same time to paste in the text of the address.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Costa Rica
Current Location
Costa Rica

Hello, Willingtolearn:

I believe that this analysis is correct:

I = pronoun = the subject of the sentence.

felt = the past tense of the verb "to feel."

a) In this sentence, "felt" is considered a linking verb. That is, its job is to connect "I" and "tired." It also shows you the tense (past). In some languages, one may simply say "I tired." NOT in English.

b) Compare: "I felt the sweater very carefully." This time, "felt" is a full verb. It shows action.

tired = adjective. It is the subjective complement. That is, it "completes" the meaning of the subject. If you said only, "I felt," your listener would ask, "Excuse me. You felt what?"

James

May I call your attention to a forum at this website called "Diagramming"? You can post a sentence there, and someone will parse (analyze) every word in the sentence.

Hello and thank you TheParser; I did a question some months ago and nobody knew how to reply it, may be you can, it was:

Where are the adverbs positioned in ALL tenses, I only know with simple past/present perfect and simple past/present (and the structures where the adverbs are going in the middle or first that the principal verb) Or What tenses are not used to using adverbs?

I know these positions, but it does not tell me exactly what tenses: [LINKS REMOVED BY MODERATOR]

I do not know if you can understand me!! Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have already deleted both of those links from your first post. It's not acceptable to expect us to open external links to read through things that you have previously studied. You need to ask your questions directly on this forum and give your own example sentences to show where you need help. I have deleted those links again. Please don't post them a third time.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I do not know if you can understand me!!

Hello, Willingtolearn:

Yes, I thnk that I understand your question.

Sadly [adverb], I cannot give you the answers that you are looking for.

Adverb placement is a very [adverb] difficult subject. Too [adverb] difficult for me.

For example, one expert * says there is a slight difference in meaning between "He slowly swam" and "He swam slowly." Unfortunately [adverb], he did not [adverb] explain that difference. And I have not [adverb] yet [adverb] been able to find one.

Here is what two experts ** say: "Many adverbs can occupy different positions in a sentence. When you have a choice, first of all place the adverb so that it makes the meaning clear." They give these examples:

1. "She answered the questions that the students asked patiently." (It refers to how the students asked.)
2. "She patiently answered the questions that the students asked." (It refers to how she answered.)

They also remind us that native speakers often choose a particular position for "rhythm and emphasis." Their examples: "Tom had never liked pizza." / "Tom never had liked pizza."

A third expert *** says that there is "a strong tendency to put the adverb immediately before the the principal verb": "He has been slowly making headway" instead of the position recommended by many books: "He has slowly been making headway."

And, of course, you have read that the adverb "only" should precede the word emphasized: "I like only ice cream, not cookies." Many native speakers, however, find this rhythm more agreeable to the ear: "I only like ice cream, not cookies."

I suggest that you follow the moderator's suggestion: Post a sentence with an adverb. Then a member will comment on the position of the adverb.

James

* Ben Yogoda, When You Catch an Adjective, Kill It (2007).
** Wilma and David Ebbitt, Perrin's Index to English (1997 edition).
*** Paul Roberts, Understanding Grammar (1954).

Status
Not open for further replies.