Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Belarus

    • Join Date: Apr 2014
    • Posts: 26
    #1

    the lower edge

    Can anybody explain me what the phrase "the lower edge" means in English or how it can be translated in Russian in the following context:
    Business centre facilities, administration offices andmeeting room areas are arranged along the lower edge of the lounge spaces.
    Thanks

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,822
    #2

    Re: the lower edge

    Where did you find that quote?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Belarus

    • Join Date: Apr 2014
    • Posts: 26
    #3

    Re: the lower edge

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Where did you find that quote?
    It's a description of departures (relegation zone).

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,822
    #4

    Re: the lower edge

    Quote Originally Posted by tory View Post
    It's a description of departures (relegation zone).

    Do you mean the departures area of an airport? I have no idea what a relegation zone is (unless it refers to football!)
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Belarus

    • Join Date: Apr 2014
    • Posts: 26
    #5

    Re: the lower edge

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Do you mean the departures area of an airport? I have no idea what a relegation zone is (unless it refers to football!)
    Yes, departures area of an airport.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,833
    #6

    Re: the lower edge

    I guess the lounge space is high enough to have more than one level of rooms going off it, and these are on the lower level.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Belarus

    • Join Date: Apr 2014
    • Posts: 26
    #7

    Re: the lower edge

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    I guess the lounge space is high enough to have more than one level of rooms going off it, and these are on the lower level.
    So, it means that the objects are situated along the lounge spaces on the lower level, doesn't it?

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #8

    Re: the lower edge

    It might, and it might not. Lounge areas generally don't have lower edges. I don't think you can assume that the other facilities are on a completely separate level. Naturally if the lounge area sloped in a certain direction, it would have a lower edge, but I'd assume that an airport with those facilities would have even floors! Maybe you could translate it is "around the edges of the lounge area." That might not be strictly accurate, but if a passenger can't find the services from the lounge area with that description, they'll have to ask someone.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Belarus

    • Join Date: Apr 2014
    • Posts: 26
    #9

    Re: the lower edge

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    It might, and it might not. Lounge areas generally don't have lower edges. I don't think you can assume that the other facilities are on a completely separate level. Naturally if the lounge area sloped in a certain direction, it would have a lower edge, but I'd assume that an airport with those facilities would have even floors! Maybe you could translate it is "around the edges of the lounge area." That might not be strictly accurate, but if a passenger can't find the services from the lounge area with that description, they'll have to ask someone.
    Does "around the edges of the lounge area" mean "near the edges of the lounge area"?
    Actually, saying "on the lower level" I meant "on the lower floor" (in Russian it can mean the same) - my fault

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #10

    Re: the lower edge

    The description doesn't actually mention that there are two floors. That's the problem I would have with translating it that way. In any case, that's not a good English sentence since none of us here knows what it means. That's why I'd be as specific as the information allows, but no moreso.
    Yes, around the edges mean close enough to near the edges. You could also say "at the periphery of the lounge area" without committing yourself to guessing the number of floors the place has.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. with an edge
    By changeling in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-Sep-2013, 02:05
  2. [General] rip apart/edgy/on edge/set one's teeth on edge/get hold of/
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Feb-2010, 05:02
  3. up-to-date/cutting edge/edge cutting
    By angliholic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-Dec-2007, 03:25
  4. on the edge
    By user_gary in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-Mar-2007, 21:37
  5. cutting-edge vs leading-edge
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-Jun-2003, 21:05

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •