[General] Watching movies with english subtitles or without english subtitles ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TcBurak

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hey, My question is about using the english subtitles to watch movies. I generally watch movies with english subtitles but one of my friends said that it'd be better if i watch the movies without subtitles. In his opinion, to improve my listening skill I should watch movies without subtitles. Now, I'm confused because I can easily understand what is being said in a movie if i use subtitles and I think using subtitles is better to understand vocabulary.

So, Which way is better ?

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hey, My question is about using the English subtitles to watch movies. I generally watch movies with English subtitles but one of my friends said that it'd be better if I watch the movies without subtitles. In his opinion, to improve my listening skill I should watch movies without subtitles. Now, I'm confused because I can easily understand what is being said in a movie if I use subtitles and I think using subtitles is better to understand vocabulary.

So, which way is better?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Note my corrections to your post in red. Remember to capitalise the word "I" at all times and to capitalise proper nouns (ie English).

I suggest to my students that they watch a film once without subtitles to see how much of it they understand on their own and then to watch it again with subtitles.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Do not expect subtitles (AE 'closed captions') to show every word of the screenplay. They are intended to help the hard-of-hearing to follow the plot and often paraphrase the dialogue to reduce the number of words on the screen. They often contain mistakes, too.

`

Last edited:

TcBurak

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Note my corrections to your post in red. Remember to capitalise the word "I" at all times and to capitalise proper nouns (ie English).

I suggest to my students that they watch a film once without subtitles to see how much of it they understand on their own and then to watch it again with subtitles.

Thank you for the corrections and the advice.

I want to ask another question based on your advice.

I can understand let's say 70% of what is being said in the movie and it's fair enough to understand what's happening but if I insist to try to watch without English subtitles does it help to improve my listening.

I mean, does it help to increase my understanding 70% to 80% or higher ?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wouldn't like to give a percentage but I think it improves your listening, yes. My advice is to be surrounded by the English language wherever possible though. Don't just concentrate on TV shows or films. I also recommend finding an English-speaking radio station and having it playing in the background whenever possible. Don't try to concentrate on it or listen to it - just get used to being surrounded by English. You will gradually start to understand more and more and it will help you to get used to the rhythm and cadence of the language.

TcBurak

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I got it. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
TcBurak, there is no need to write a new post to say Thank you or to quote our replies back to us. Clicking on the Thank button on any posts you find helpful is all you need to do. It means that we don't have to open the thread again to read your new post and then find that it doesn't include any new information or an additional question. It saves everybody's time.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.